Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Olivetti M24 / AT&T 6300 Keyboard Emulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting progress. Three questions:

- why not using, like original M24 keyboard, using the +12V supply with a voltage regulator?
    - what is the usage of the mini-DIN keybard connector?
    - M24 keyboard mouse emulation, please...?
    <album>

Comment

Originally posted by 1ST1 View Post
      - why not using, like original M24 keyboard, using the +12V supply with a voltage regulator?
      The reason is that it did not seem necessary to me - 12V are not directly needed anywhere, and 5V are already provided on the keyboard connector, so why not use that? It saves at least 2 components (the regulator itself and the upstream capacitor), and it uses less power (the regulator would be a linear one, so it dissipates the excess voltage as heat).

- what is the usage of the mini-DIN keybard connector?
      It's to connect keyboards with a PS/2-style connector. The keyboard protocol for AT and PS/2 keyboards is the same, only the connector is different (DIN-5 for AT keyboards, vs mini-DIN-6 for PS/2 keyboards), so the emulator should be able to work with both. On the PCB I wanted to keep the option of choosing one connector or the other.

- M24 keyboard mouse emulation, please...?
      Working on it...
      Last edited by Valerio; November 18, 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Valerio View Post
        The reason is that it did not seem necessary to me - 12V are not directly needed anywhere, and 5V are already provided on the keyboard connector, so why not use that? It saves at least 2 components (the regulator itself and the upstream capacitor), and it uses less power (the regulator would be a linear one, so it dissipates the excess voltage as heat).
        Maybe the 5V is too weak for the emulator, modern keyboard & mouse... I think you should make it configureable, so the user can choose if he wants to use 5V, or install an 7805 and use this one...
        It's to connect keyboards with a PS/2-style connector. The keyboard protocol for AT and PS/2 keyboards is the same, only the connector is different (DIN-5 for AT keyboards, vs mini-DIN-6 for PS/2 keyboards), so the emulator should be able to work with both. On the PCB I wanted to keep the option of choosing one connector or the other.
        Ok, I understand, good decision.
        Working on it...
        Yeah!

As it has USB connector, will it also be possible to 'remote control' the M24 from another PC over USB (mouse and keyboard)? That would be cool!
        <album>

Comment

Maybe the 5V is too weak for the emulator, modern keyboard & mouse... I think you should make it configureable, so the user can choose if he wants to use 5V, or install an 7805 and use this one...
          There is no mouse yet and with emulator and keyboard it works fine off the 5V line, even with the voltage drop. However you have a point - let me get to the bottom of the cause of this voltage drop.

As it has USB connector, will it also be possible to 'remote control' the M24 from another PC over USB (mouse and keyboard)? That would be cool!
          This is already possible today with the current version of the emulator - minus the mouse. Just use PuTTY or any other terminal app of your choice that supports serial over USB, and you can control the M24 as if you were typing on its own keyboard. Not all keys are available but it's pretty usable.

I'm not sure how I would support a mouse-via-USB though - even if the emulator did emulate the M24 mouse (which should not be hard), I'm not familiar with how (or even if!) terminal apps send mouse movement (and click) information down a serial line...

Comment

Nice! Can I ask what keyboard you tested it with? Or did you use the TTY-via-USB feature?

Also, did you power it via the USB cable or from the AT&T 6300 keyboard port?

Thanks!
            I used a Dell model RT7D5JTW PS/2 keyboard which is rated at 75mA.

I am currently using the 5V pin from the keyboard port, which in my case is providing 4.85V. It works fine to power the Arduino and a PS/2 keyboard. I am planning on adding a voltage regulator and using the 12V pin before I attempt to use my IBM Model F AT keyboard. My Hi-Tek XT/AT keyboard draws 300ma, so I can only assume that the older capacitive keyboards probably draw more.

Will

Comment

I run a Compaq keyboard, a BluePill ( 32 bit ARM ) and 10 led's on the USB port. It is a PS/2 to parallel but could generate M24 codes as well, by just a change to the lookup table. It could even be used take USB to the M24. The BluePill is cheaper than the Arduino's.
              Such things can be done on an Arduino as well.
              Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by JWDW View Post
                I used a Dell model RT7D5JTW PS/2 keyboard which is rated at 75mA.
                If I have that adapter, I would use a newer Olivetti keyboard, like ANK 25-102 or ANK 26-102. They would need more power than 75mA.
                <album>

Comment

Ok we seem to have a consensus that a regulator is desirable - I will add it to the PCB.

Comment

Edited PCB attached. Looking at the 7805 datasheet it seems that in a TO-220 package it is safe to dissipate (12V - 5V) * 500mA = 3.5W while keeping the junction temperature well within the recommended operating conditions, so I did not include space for a heatsink - let me know if you think otherwise.

Also note that the space for the input / output capacitors is approx 9x9mm / 6x9mm - should be enough for ceramics or low-voltage electrolytics.

keybem_front.jpg
                    olivetti_kb.pdf
                    olivetti_kb.zip

Comment

I suspect the temperature will stay within operating range but I doubt it will do much to improve its life time. I'd say add a heat sink. There are a lot of variables in what it can take. Things like do the leads connect to a power plane. Will it be mounted vertical or horizontal.
                      Dwight

Comment

Most places I looked at say case to ambient is on the order of 50 to 60 degrees C per watt.
                        3.5 times 50 is 175. add that to 25 = 200 degrees C. Most to-220 packages are rated at 150 C.
                        At 150 C, I can tell you that touching the package will flatten the finger prints so you can get away with other crimes.
                        Most show the die at 3.5 degrees per C so the die would be another 12.25 C hotter then that.
                        What numbers did you see for package to ambient?
                        Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
                          Most places I looked at say case to ambient is on the order of 50 to 60 degrees C per watt.
                          3.5 times 50 is 175. add that to 25 = 200 degrees C. Most to-220 packages are rated at 150 C.
                          At 150 C, I can tell you that touching the package will flatten the finger prints so you can get away with other crimes.
                          Most show the die at 3.5 degrees per C so the die would be another 12.25 C hotter then that.
                          What numbers did you see for package to ambient?
                          Dwight
                          Ok, I admit I only checked one datasheet, this one, which gives the thermal resistance as 19 degree C/W for TO-220 packages, which would give T_J = 3.5 * 19 + 25 = 91.5 C, still too hot to touch but below the recommended max junction temperature of 125C.

TI's datasheet gives 23.9 C/W, which would bring this to 107, even hotter but borderline ok.

However now I see ST's datasheet says 50 C/W ? This would definitely mean it's way too hot, as you say.

And Fairchild's even higher at 65 C/W! I am perplexed...

Anyway I think I can rotate the 7805 so its back faces the outside of the PCB, so a heatsink can be attached...

Comment

And here it is - with the regulator rotated and on the outside border of the PCB, so a heatsink can be attached.

keybem_front.jpg
                            Attached Files

Comment

And off it goes for production - fingers crossed!

JLCKB.JPG

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Comment

Ok, I admit I only checked one datasheet, this one, which gives the thermal resistance as 19 degree C/W for TO-220 packages, which would give T_J = 3.5 * 19 + 25 = 91.5 C, still too hot to touch but below the recommended max junction temperature of 125C.

TI's datasheet gives 23.9 C/W, which would bring this to 107, even hotter but borderline ok.

However now I see ST's datasheet says 50 C/W ? This would definitely mean it's way too hot, as you say.

And Fairchild's even higher at 65 C/W! I am perplexed...

Anyway I think I can rotate the 7805 so its back faces the outside of the PCB, so a heatsink can be attached...
                                I suspect it is an error in the table. If you look at the text above the table, they say it is 54 C/W. At number that is a little closer.
                                Dwight

Comment

Working...
                                X