• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Sound Blaster for an IBM PS/2E Model 9533?

Holmes

Experienced Member
Hello All:

I am interested in putting a sound card in my IBM PS/2E 9533. This is the small pizza-box PS/2, which has laptop components in it to be a very early energy-star compliant computer.

It's got a 486SLC2 25/50 MHZ CPU, 16MB RAM, and a single ISA expansion slot. It's a neat little computer!

I've been thinking about putting in a Sound Blaster ISA card. I've been trying to research them, but it's insane how many versions there were.

I want something that will have a wide compatibility with games and other applications that can run on this computer. I will be running mainly DOS/Win 3.1/OS2. It would also be nice to have a CD-ROM interface on it as well.

I've heard that the Sound Blaster 16's are probably the most compatible with various software. I've seen people recommend the CT2940 with a Yamaha OPL chip if you can find one. I'm not that concerned with quality of the sound, but just something that works with most things.

This computer also only has a 24-watt power supply, so it also needs to be light on the power draw.

I don't really have much experience with Sound Blasters or PCs from that era, as I was primarily an Amiga guy during that time.

I was interested if people here had any recommendations. I was probably leaning towards just getting a cheap CT2940 on ebay at this point.

Note the limits of the 9533 power supply include no use of the sound card amplifiers. http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/9533/9533.html

Because of the small size of the case requiring the use of an external CD-ROM, I would suggest looking for the SCSI version of the SB. Trying to run an IDE cable out of the box and cobbling together an external IDE enclosure seems like a bit of work.

Also, consider looking for a parallel port CD-ROM enclosure as an alternative to the sound card with CD-ROM connector. Most such enclosures accepted any IDE CDROM so replacing a worn out one is simple.

Note the limits of the 9533 power supply include no use of the sound card amplifiers. http://ohlandl.ipv7.net/9533/9533.html

Because of the small size of the case requiring the use of an external CD-ROM, I would suggest looking for the SCSI version of the SB. Trying to run an IDE cable out of the box and cobbling together an external IDE enclosure seems like a bit of work.

Also, consider looking for a parallel port CD-ROM enclosure as an alternative to the sound card with CD-ROM connector. Most such enclosures accepted any IDE CDROM so replacing a worn out one is simple.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was mainly thinking of the CD-ROM as a "nice to have" not a necessary thing for me. The only time I'd really see using it was if I really needed CD access on this for an install or transfer. I wouldn't intend on leaving one plugged in.

I did read online where someone put in one of the AWE Sound Blasters, but needing to disable the on-board amplifier due to the computer rebooting when playing loud sounds, which makes sense from a power-draw perspective.

I guess no-one has any suggestions for the model of Sound Blaster, so I'll give the CT2940 a try. I guess most, if not all, of the models would work.

SoundBlaster Pro and SB16 both worked well enough for me. I either never encountered or lack the hearing to notice some of the reported flaws of the SB16.

Ok, thanks! I’ll give a sb16 a try.

Yeah, I get what you mean about the sound differences. I have a hard time telling the difference. There’s a sound byte on a Wikipedia page on soundblasters, with the OPL vs emulated sound outputs, and they both sounded pretty good to me. So an audiophile I’m not.

I've heard that the Sound Blaster 16's are probably the most compatible with various software. I've seen people recommend the CT2940 with a Yamaha OPL chip if you can find one. I'm not that concerned with quality of the sound, but just something that works with most things.
hello
another card , (dont know if it fits your pc?) , and perhaps not you choise - but it has got TMS320 chip .
And i can only say, my TMS320 sound card have a great sound quality . But i dont think it is 100% compatible with all games...?
(not me seeling)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-60G0823-EDUQUEST-ISA-SOUNDCARD-WITH-CABLE-60G0813-/141462752138

/cimonvg

hello
another card , (dont know if it fits your pc?) , and perhaps not you choise - but it has got TMS320 chip .
And i can only say, my TMS320 sound card have a great sound quality . But i dont think it is 100% compatible with all games...?
(not me seeling)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-60G0823-EDUQUEST-ISA-SOUNDCARD-WITH-CABLE-60G0813-/141462752138

/cimonvg

Thanks for the suggestion! I think I'll stay with a Creative Labs Sound Blaster, though, just because of the very likely higher compatibility with more programs.

Back