• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC-XT with a strange IBM keyboard

Ruud

Veteran Member
Hallo allemaal,

Today I picked up this XT at the home of a friend. This XT is mentioned in: another thread. When loading it in the car we noticed that it wasn't the usual PC keyboard but an AT one. So we wondered if there was a XT board inside the case.

Being at home I opened the case and there was a XT board inside. I powered it up and worked fine, no message of a missing keyboard. Very puzzled I had a better look at the keyboard and only then I saw it wasn't an AT one. The main difference is that where I expected to see the LEDs for CapsLock, NumLock and ScrollLock, there was nothing: just the rectangle that marks the place. I googled of course and so I ran into the model M. But nothing mentions the version I have.

Info: made in the UK at 03-07-1986 (European notation) and various numbers. Sorry, I cannot make pictures at he moment.

Any ideas? TIA!

The last version of the XT BIOS contains support for 101-key keyboards, and a few Model M keyboards have support for XT signaling, and have no lock lights. It sounds very much like you have this combination, keyboard part # 1389969

Back