• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Source code of IBM BIOS-es

Ruud

Veteran Member
Hallo allemaal,

In 1987 I copied the source code of the Reference Manual to my PC by typing. I did that so I could create my own diagnostic ROM. It worked great and when the company started to sell AT compatibles, they bought the logimer diagnostic set.

I thought I lost the source code but found it back some time ago; for some reason it was completely misplaced. I tried to assemble it using MASM 5 but, although I got no errors, I only got a 1 KB BIN and a very short LST file with no code. And I still have no idea what I am doing wrong :(

But from the beginning I am a NASM fan so I converted the source and assembled it using NASM. The resulting BIN is not the same as the original ROM because NASM uses other codes. For example: "8B D9" is translated by my disassembler into "mov bx,cx". But the NASM translates this instruction into "89 CB". But it doesn't affect the working of the ROM because the PC also boots fine with the NASM version. I'll upload both MASM and NASM version to my site later and will let you know. I hope somebody will be so kind the assemble the MASM version and tell me how he did it so I can do it as well.

I am looking now for the source code of other versions of the IBM BIOS-es. I first thought be smart and to copy them from the OCRed manuals on the minuszerodegrees site. But, although I could copy the text, it certainly didn't look so nice as seen on the screen (or am I doing something wrong?).
Source codes of BIOS of other machines are welcome as well.

Thank you very much in advance!

I tried to assemble it using MASM 5 but, although I got no errors, I only got a 1 KB BIN and a very short LST file with no code. And I still have no idea what I am doing wrong :(
Found on the site that Krebizfan provided: "• Versions of MASM later than 4.0 cannot be used to build the IBM BIOS source code since older constructs and macros are used.".

OK, I just happen to have 4.0 so I can give it another try.

Back