• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Problems doing format and copy MS-DOS

sinfirma23

Hi, I have a couple of problems with my old PC XT 8088 with MS-DOS 6.22.

1.-My 3.5 and 720k disk drive, only format 360k discs, although the discs are double-sided and double density.

2.-I would like to know how I can connect two hard drives SEagate ST-225 on the same computer to transfer the operating system from one disk to another. For now I have installed the two disks and the two controllers and I get an error.

Thank you
a greeting

Welcome to these forums.

1.-My 3.5 and 720k disk drive, only format 360k discs, although the discs are double-sided and double density.
Many PC/XT-class machines were released before 720K drives and diskettes, and consequently, the motherboard BIOS does not know about 720K drives and diskettes.

Try what is indicated at [here].

2.-I would like to know how I can connect two hard drives SEagate ST-225 on the same computer to transfer the operating system from one disk to another. For now I have installed the two disks and the two controllers and I get an error.

The two controllers are probably conflicting (see [here]) with each other.

Normally, two MFM drives are connected to one controller; a 'dual-drive configuration'. A couple of diagrams are at [here], one for a twisted control cable, and one for a straight-through (flat) control cable.
Before trying a dual-drive configuration, it is recommended that each drive first be tested in a single-drive configuration. Once you are happy that each drive works with the controller, you then try the dual-drive configuration.

If all you want to do is "transfer the operating system from one disk to another", you could do that via A: drive.

Isn't it better to use DRIVPARM, as opposed to DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS ?
DRIVPARM simply modifies parameters of existing drive letter, without adding another letter.
But then I would have to allow for different versions of DOS.
E.g.

If you are running DOS 2, you're out of luck; DRIVPARM does not exist - use DRIVER.SYS per ...
If you are running IBM DOS 3.3, use of DRIVPARM requires that you first patch IBMBIO.COM per ....
If you are running MS-DOS 3.3, use of DRIVPARM requires that you first patch IO.COM per ....

From what I've seen, most XT's and XT clones use DOS 3.3

It is just easier if I have one procedure that works across the various old DOS versions.

And if people know how to search the Internet, they should find that SETBPB35 can also be used.

I have "(one of a few)" at the subject web page. That should prompt those who are interested, that alternate solutions exist.

Yes, the option to enter the DEVICE line in the Config.sys file has worked correctly and now I have a virtual drive called D. But this computer has been with me since 1988 and I remember that I could format 3.5 to 720k without having to create a virtual disk D. It can be a problem of the jumper of the motherboard, or the DPI switch ?. Or maybe a problem for to use 6.22 MS-DOS?

Yes, the option to enter the DEVICE line in the Config.sys file has worked correctly and now I have a virtual drive called D. But this computer has been with me since 1988 and I remember that I could format 3.5 to 720k without having to create a virtual disk D. It can be a problem of the jumper of the motherboard, or the DPI switch ?. Or maybe a problem for to use 6.22 MS-DOS?

What Bios version do you have in your XT 5160, Have you changed bios versions ?, With the 11/08/82 bios the 3.5" floppy will be seen as a 360k, The later 86 bios will see the floppy drive as 720k.

If you are running DOS 2, you're out of luck; DRIVPARM does not exist - use DRIVER.SYS per …
DOS 2.x does not support 3.5" diskette drives unless it was specially modified by the OEM to do so. For example, the version of MS-DOS 2.11 that is in ROM in the Tandy 1000HX.

If you are running IBM DOS 3.3, use of DRIVPARM requires that you first patch IBMBIO.COM per ....
In IBM PC DOS 3.2 and 3.3, DRIVPARM is undocumented but can be made to work without patching any files by inserting three Ctrl-A characters between DRIVPARM and its switches. For example, DRIVPARM ^A^A^A = /D:1

If you are running MS-DOS 3.3, use of DRIVPARM requires that you first patch IO.COM per ....
If you're using OEM MS-DOS 3.30A, DRIVPARM works normally with no modification necessary.

Otherwise, I also recommend using SETBPB35. It's the easiest solution, doesn't take up any RAM, and keeps the existing drive letter.

Just a note, it is only possible to move "MFM" hard drives between controllers if the two controllers are the exact same model. The low level formats differ between models, so the drive will appear blank as if it has never been low-level formatted when attached to a different controller of a different model.

Back