• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone here use FlashFloppy on a Gotek for IBM 5150/60/70?

Springbok

Experienced Member
So I got a GoTek and flashed it with FlashFloppy. I have ALMOST everything working.

The only thing I can't figure is how to get it to boot from the GoTek USB.

I have tried creating an IMG from a boot disk and I adding it to the USB, but it just won't boot from the IMG.

Has anyone got a GoTek with FlashFloppy booting from the USB, and if so, could you please provide some guidance?

Thanks.

I've got 1.44 GOTEK that has been flashed with the Flashfloppy V0.11 firmware. (I need to update it to V0.14)
I have JUMPERS on the Following: S1, JC, and Jumper on right side (away from 34 Pin Header) of Pins for JA to J5.

I have a couple of DOS images for 6.22, 3.3, and 7.1 that are 1.44 Meg and named .IMG. I processed them with the
HxC software to create the DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE, DSKA0003.HFE, and DSKA0004.HFE.

Those are copied to the root directory of the USB Flash Drive. I can select image 1, 2, 3, or 4 with the Right Button,
and after a flash of the 3-LED Display I can do a Directory of A: and those files are displayed. Likewise, if I depress
the Right button to increment to 3, that image can be accessed by a dir command. If I reboot the DOS Computer
then it boots from the image assigned to 3.

It works good without having to use the additional SELECT Button. (I originally wanted to add it.)

The HxC software runs on Windows and can be built on Linux (I use Debian 8.x & 9.x - 32 Bit).
You can use the DOS browse selection to add or remove files from the DOS image before creating
the .HFE file. It works good, but is for DOS ONLY........Not for CP/M.

I'm in the process of trying to get some GOTEK's working on Kaypro II, Ampro Little Board Z80, and TRS-80
Model 4 running Montezuma Micro V2.31.

I have also purchased 1 Firmware License for the HxC Firmware to evaluate which I like best. I need to get
a GOTEK updated with the HxC Firmware.

Larry

I got all the Goteks in my vintage systems moded with Flashfloppy. Not only that but i also put in the rotary encoder and the OLED screens. I can't think of ever going back to a standard Gotek.

Make sure you are using 180K or 360K images. HD 1.2/1.44 images will not work on a PC/XT. Not sure on 720k- that would depend on the controller and BIOS. Probably not on a 5150 PC...

I use two of Goteks in my Turbo XT clone. I have them connected to a standard 16 bits multio card and I have a 16KiB EEPROM burned with Serguey's Floppy BIOS (modded to use only 6KiB) + XUB (full using the remaining 10KB) so I can use HD floppy images with it. The EEPROM is installed on a cheap Taiwanese NE2000 clone.

* The A: drive is a Gotek modded with an OLED screen and flashed with Flashfloppy firmware configured as a HD 5.25 drive (1.2MB) in Sergey's Floppy BIOS. I use it to boot PC/MS-DOS 3.2x (1.2MB floppy images) and booters.

* The B: drive is another Gotek modded with an OLED screen and flashed with HxC firmware configured as an EHD 3.5 drive (2.88MB) in Sergey's Floppy BIOS. I use it with standard 3.5 floppy images (720KB, 1.44MB and 2.88MB) and also with extra size ones. For example, HxC supports this:

Captura de pantalla de 2018-12-29 20:53:09.jpg

A 6.78MB floppy image !! (you need a driver to make MS-DOS 3.2x recognize them).

In the end I have 8MB of floppy storage on this old XT clone. You can have even more using a more current DOS version, up to 10MB of storage (2.88MB + 6.78MB)

Hi,

What kind of adapter did you use for the Gotek to connect it? It is connected to an a floppy controller, but then the connectors a different. I want to connect it to an IBM 5160.

I've got 1.44 GOTEK that has been flashed with the Flashfloppy V0.11 firmware. (I need to update it to V0.14)
I have JUMPERS on the Following: S1, JC, and Jumper on right side (away from 34 Pin Header) of Pins for JA to J5.

I have a couple of DOS images for 6.22, 3.3, and 7.1 that are 1.44 Meg and named .IMG. I processed them with the
HxC software to create the DSKA0001.HFE, DSKA0002.HFE, DSKA0003.HFE, and DSKA0004.HFE.

Those are copied to the root directory of the USB Flash Drive. I can select image 1, 2, 3, or 4 with the Right Button,
and after a flash of the 3-LED Display I can do a Directory of A: and those files are displayed. Likewise, if I depress
the Right button to increment to 3, that image can be accessed by a dir command. If I reboot the DOS Computer
then it boots from the image assigned to 3.

It works good without having to use the additional SELECT Button. (I originally wanted to add it.)

The HxC software runs on Windows and can be built on Linux (I use Debian 8.x & 9.x - 32 Bit).
You can use the DOS browse selection to add or remove files from the DOS image before creating
the .HFE file. It works good, but is for DOS ONLY........Not for CP/M.

I'm in the process of trying to get some GOTEK's working on Kaypro II, Ampro Little Board Z80, and TRS-80
Model 4 running Montezuma Micro V2.31.

I have also purchased 1 Firmware License for the HxC Firmware to evaluate which I like best. I need to get
a GOTEK updated with the HxC Firmware.

Larry

I use such a cable.

20201015_210321.jpg
20201015_210329.jpg

I have an encoder, a speaker pretending to be a mechanism, and an oled display. Flash floppy software.

I have 3 gotek and they all work perfectly.

I think I have this hybrid cable that have the two types of connectors for the old 5.25 and 1.44 floppies. So for me it should be easier with this cable. Did you use this cable without modification? I read that some modification is needed, but I could not understand how to modify it.

Then I still need to add a connector between your PCB and the GOTEK by reusing one from existing floppy cable? Or you have the connector mounted also?

tonata,
I used the standard Card Edge to 34 Pin Header. I had some PCB's created and sold some excess I have.
I still have a few available.

I looks like this.

View attachment 64121

Larry

The 34 Pin header is soldered to the PCB, and has the capability of selecting any Floppy Drive DS{0..3}
by cutting a couple of traces and soldering a jumper to the needed Drive Select. It also has the
capability of strapping Pin 2 LOW for selecting Low Density for 3.5" Floppy's that require it.
And of course the 34 Pin Right Angle Header is a Gold Plated Pin Connector.

A Photo of the actual Adapter is on my Google Drive https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ClIFmvZ7C1VodunIFMcok9pXX8kmp0fC/view?usp=sharing

Larry

I also used an adapter, the one my friend @ldkraemer showed. Works well.

The tape I showed has the first straight connector. The second is interlaced. I used the first connector.

I didn't do anything. No rework. The cable is original.

Back