• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PCjr Question

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Just got a very nice working PCjr for christmas today! Overall it's in extremely nice shape, just needs a little dusting off. I have a couple of cartridge games with it, but I'm having trouble getting them going. Are they supposed to boot without a dos disk? Or do I need to type some command in at the basic/dos prompt?

Merry

Got the two cartridges I have working! I had to sand the contacts down with 1000 grit sandpaper a little bit, they had some corrosion because of disintegrating foam. Now I'm trying to find a copy or disk image of King's Quest to play on this thing. The GoG release sucks, I want an original copy. Why are they charging money for old games without at least having an option to get the original unmodified versions?

Got the two cartridges I have working! I had to sand the contacts down with 1000 grit sandpaper a little bit, they had some corrosion because of disintegrating foam. Now I'm trying to find a copy or disk image of King's Quest to play on this thing. The GoG release sucks, I want an original copy. Why are they charging money for old games without at least having an option to get the original unmodified versions?

Yes, GoG is fine for the casual user who wants to play a vintage game on a modern PC, but the service often only comes with the bare minimum of files needed to get the game to run on whatever emulator it is using. Sometimes those files are not even sufficient to get the game working in a real DOS. Ordinarily they only include the "last" version of a game, and King's Quest had about four booter releases and three DOS releases before they remade it!

Yeah, I'm perfectly fine paying a couple bucks for a game like that but not if it's not going to work and I can't buy a version that will, I kind of have no choice but to pirate it

Well, I downloaded the Total DOD Collection, and it's pretty impressive how many games are in it. The one issue I'm having is the PCjr King's Quest disk image seems to be broken so I'm still looking for a working disk image of that...

Back