• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Calculating amount of ram based on chips

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
This is probably a stupid question, but I'm trying to get my AST Six Pak Plus upgraded in my 5150 so I can remove another ram card I have to make room for an xtide card. My Sic Pak Plus has 256k on it right now and is fully populated with 16k chips. I want to either partially or fully replace the 16k chips with 64k chips I have laying around. I want to get as close to 640k total as I can with what I have on hand- the 5150 has 64k built in so I want to get as close to 576k as I can without going over

I understand the situation.

You presently have two RAM cards in your 16KB-64KB 5150, one being an AST SixPakPlus and the other being an [unnamed] card. In order to free up a slot for an XT-IDE card, you want to remove the [unnamed] card, and compensate by increasing the RAM on the AST SixPakPlus.

The desire (if possible) is to repopulate the AST SixPakPlus so that it provides 576 KB of RAM, addressed from 64K to 640K.

That will be possible if you have the appropriate version of the SixPakPlus. A quick look at the SixPakPlus user manuals at [here] shows that the long version is limited to 384 KB of RAM, but the later short version can go up to 576 KB.

I understand the situation.

You presently have two RAM cards in your 16KB-64KB 5150, one being an AST SixPakPlus and the other being an [unnamed] card. In order to free up a slot for an XT-IDE card, you want to remove the [unnamed] card, and compensate by increasing the RAM on the AST SixPakPlus.

The desire (if possible) is to repopulate the AST SixPakPlus so that it provides 576 KB of RAM, addressed from 64K to 640K.

That will be possible if you have the appropriate version of the SixPakPlus. A quick look at the SixPakPlus user manuals at [here] shows that the long version is limited to 384 KB of RAM, but the later short version can go up to 576 KB.

Yes, that's what I meant. big brain fart though, I figured it out almost as soon as I typed up that really confuding post

Back