Announcement

Collapse

Forum etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

"PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Calling All Hands - Yamaha C1 Laptop Expansion Slot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling All Hands - Yamaha C1 Laptop Expansion Slot

I've received a very interesting memo about the Yamaha C1 Music Computer.

This machine had 8 MIDI slots and a special version of Sequencer Gold to use them all. Supplied with either 20MB MFM HDD and a floppy or two floppies.

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/...sp?st=1&c=1176

Needless to say the challenge is to get a CompactFlash storage board made for this machine. It has an expansion slot and that is specifically what I need help finding data on - physical dimensions, connector type and pin out, everything basically.

All help on this greatly appreciated. This project is quite exciting because there is a real use case coming out of this

Another BT adventure, I presume?

Ethan O'Toole mentions having documented the expansion pinout on his blog. Might be worth reaching out to him for that information.

Otherwise, you'll probably need to purchase the service manual.

Comment

Awesome thanks for the links! I wonder how detailed the service manual is. A schematic would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
        Awesome thanks for the links! I wonder how detailed the service manual is. A schematic would be perfect.
        I bought the SM so it can be shipped quicker to a US address. They didn't offer expedited shipping. But anything would be quicker than to the UK.

When it arrives, I'll scan it in and send it to you electronically. I can send it along in the post later if you want. I think I still have your mailing address here somewhere.

Consider it a donation to 'the cause'.
        "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Comment

That’s so super awesome, thank you! Scan would be brilliant

Comment

With the very kind help of eeguru, the tech ref is now in hand

Looks like the built-in HDD interface is *very nearly* IDE - everything we need electrically is there to interface to CompactFlash directly.

The system ROM is apparently 64KB. I don't yet know if there is any free space in it or any available ROM sockets.

Next step will be to look at these. The only challenge I think will be patching out the built-in HDD code and getting the XTIDE Universal BIOS stored somewhere and initialised.

Comment

Here is the HDD Interface pinout:

Screenshot 2019-01-05 at 20.49.48.jpg

Comment

I've attached the system BIOS. Others have reported that Type 47 is not available in the interface but it is in the text list in the BIOS.

We need to modify the BIOS by either:

1. Adding XTIDE UB for generic 16-bit IDE controller at 1F0h in unused space (8K offset appears to be clear) and patching the BIOS to call it; or
                2. Patching the existing BIOS to enable type-47 selection.

Any help on this greatly appreciated! Other than that a simple patch PCB to isolate unused signal wires (like motor run) is all that's needed on this
                Attached Files

Comment

James, I'm looking into patching XUB into the system BIOS but can't make any promises as to when or if it will be done. Just wanted you to know I'm giving it a shot.
                  Looking for a cache card for the "ICL ErgoPRO C4/66d V"

Comment

That would be so awesome Antilles, thank you!

Comment

Autocorrect LOL

Comment

I've disassembled the system BIOS completely and found more than enough free space, so any build of XUB can be patched in. My plan is to patch it in at offset 4000h. The option ROM scan stops at segment F000h so I will have to extend that, then adjust the checksum and it should be good to go. I'm thinking that the Large AT build should be OK to use? I will also configure it to use a single standard 16-bit ISA IDE controller at 1F0h, not using any IRQ (for max performance).

Does this sound OK?

Comment

All spot on.

If you can pull this off that will be super amazing!

Comment

Can you see the built in code scanning 1F0h btw? Ideally we’d patch that out or perhaps we don’t need to?

Comment

Originally posted by pearce_jj View Post
                              Can you see the built in code scanning 1F0h btw? Ideally we’d patch that out or perhaps we don’t need to?
                              We shouldn't need to do that. I'm assuming that the system BIOS can be configured to have no harddrives? Do you have access to this machine for testing, BTW?

Anyway, I've patched in the Large AT build of XUB r600+* beginning at offset 4000h and ending at offset 67FFh. At offset 6800h I've changed the byte there from FFh to F9h to offset the change I did when extending the option ROM scan to segment F600h. The thing is, I can't find any code that checks for a valid checksum of the system BIOS so this might not be needed. The change I did to extend the option ROM scan is at offset 8D8Eh.

I've attached a zip file with;
                              the IDA database file containing the disassembly,
                              BEFORE.BIN which is the first part of the original binary up to offset 3FFFh,
                              FF.BIN which is just the part of the original system BIOS that is replaced by XUB,
                              the XUB binary configured as I said above
                              and AFTER.BIN that is the part that comes after XUB.

Note that I have not patched AFTER.BIN to include the option ROM scan extension or the checksum byte so you can do
                              Code:
                              copy/b BEFORE.BIN+FF.BIN+AFTER.BIN SYSTEM.BIN
                              to get a copy of the original BIOS in SYSTEM.BIN.

The included C1ROMXUB.BIN is the complete BIOS patched and ready to go (I hope)!

The zip file had to be split into two parts so I could attach it to this post, just do a
                              Code:
                              copy/b C1ROMXUB.ZIP.001.zip+C1ROMXUB.ZIP.002.zip C1ROMXUB.ZIP
                              C1ROMXUB.ZIP.001.zip
                              C1ROMXUB.ZIP.002.zip

* r600+ meaning some small changes I've done that will be added to the repository on my next commit.

Comment

Working...
                              X