• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS/2 8525 Hard Drive Options

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
My friend just picked me up a pair of (broken) PS/2 model 25's, the 8525 variant with 8086 processors. I'm hoping to piece together one good one out of the two. I was just wondering what my best option for a hard drive is. I was planning on using my xtide rev. 4 but it doesn't appear that this computer has any internal power connections, although I could be wrong. I was also looking at the XT-CF Lite but I didn't see any pre assembled ones for sale. I know I could also go the external scsi hard drive route but I'd like to avoid that because all those scsi drives are so old and expensive. Any suggestions? Or are there other options I'm forgetting? An external IDE druve might do the trick too but I don't remember seeing anything like that off the top of my head.

My friend just picked me up a pair of (broken) PS/2 model 25's, the 8525 variant with 8086 processors. I'm hoping to piece together one good one out of the two. I was just wondering what my best option for a hard drive is. I was planning on using my xtide rev. 4 but it doesn't appear that this computer has any internal power connections, although I could be wrong. I was also looking at the XT-CF Lite but I didn't see any pre assembled ones for sale. I know I could also go the external scsi hard drive route but I'd like to avoid that because all those scsi drives are so old and expensive. Any suggestions? Or are there other options I'm forgetting? An external IDE druve might do the trick too but I don't remember seeing anything like that off the top of my head.

My recommendation, being a big Model 25 fan, is to use the XT-IDE with DOM (if you can get an XT-IDE with molex connector) or do the XT-CF. Best bet, the chances of finding a good working compatible drive, are astronomical as are the prices if you do find one.

Please post pictures once you get a good unit together.

... use the XT-IDE with DOM (if you can get an XT-IDE with molex connector)...
I use DOMs without the power (Molex) connector on my tweener. Somehow they're getting powered without the Molex power connector. I discovered this accidentally when I removed the Molex connector thinking this would disable the DOM, but it didn't. I don't know where it's getting power from and I was never able to figure it out.

I use DOMs without the power (Molex) connector on my tweener. Somehow they're getting powered without the Molex power connector. I discovered this accidentally when I removed the Molex connector thinking this would disable the DOM, but it didn't. I don't know where it's getting power from and I was never able to figure it out.

In that case, that's exactly what I'll do.

The model 25's I got are pretty far away so I'll be picking them up in March on my way to visit relatives in Pittsburgh. One seems like it has a bad psu since the power led blinks once and turns off although I guess it could be a shorted cap, and the other has the CRT turn on but no beeps or anything when it's turned on. I'm thinking motherboard, cpu, or ram. Maybe I'll fix both if they're not too far gone

They actually sell those DOM's that don't require external power as I've found out. The smaller ones don't have a power cable.

Would it be possible to install Windows 3.0 or 3.1 on this? I'm planning on maxing the ram at 640k and installing an NEC V30 and a math copro

They actually sell those DOM's that don't require external power as I've found out. The smaller ones don't have a power cable.

Would it be possible to install Windows 3.0 or 3.1 on this? I'm planning on maxing the ram at 640k and installing an NEC V30 and a math copro

Why a V30? Can't you keep anything original? :p

You can install anything on it.

I had issues installing 3.1 on my Compaq Portable 3 is the reason why I ask. It wanted 1mb of ram and I couldn't get it to install with only 640k

I've got enough original stuff, decided I'd hot rod this one a bit :D

I had issues installing 3.1 on my Compaq Portable 3 is the reason why I ask. It wanted 1mb of ram and I couldn't get it to install with only 640k

I've got enough original stuff, decided I'd hot rod this one a bit :D

I was under the impression Windows 3.1 would not install under 1 meg of RAM and you'll only have 640k, V30 or no V30.

Guess I'm running 3.0 then! Just out of curiosity, is there much difference? I'm fairly familiar with 3.1 but I have no experience with 3.0 aside from installing it on my Compaq Portable 3 and playing Solitaire once

Just picked up my pair of model 25's! The one that would only turn on for a couple seconds before shutting down needs new caps on the motherboard but I clipped the bad ones and it works just fine. Is there any good place to get 3 leg caps?

The other one needs more work and I think I'll either part it out or sell it whole to someone with more motivation than me to fix

Would it be 2 2 legs caps to replace it? I read somewhere the 3 leg caps are basically 2 in 1. I've never even heard of a 3 leg cap before so I don't know anything about them...

Ok I'n gonna do some research to see if I can get a 3 leg replacement but I'll go that route if I can't.

I also found these cards inside and I'm not quite sure what they're for. They have a db9 connector like a cga monitor but I'm pretty sure they're not for cga or ega. Then I thought maybe serial but the plugs have the opposite gender you would expect for that.
Message_1548603756749.jpg

Back