• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5170 - Where to connect power LED ??

KLund1

Veteran Member
I am working with several 5170's now.
When I was looking closely to the front panel LED's and wires, the green light bulb icon LED is not connected to anything. The Motherboard I was looking at is model IBM 201-V0. It is a green board, not a brown one. Where can I connect it? Isn't this just a power on led?
The board has a reset header next to the battery header near PSU connection. But the front panel dose not have a reset button/switch. What is this about?
Also the hard drive and floppy drive controller cards do no appear to have activity LED header. The HD card it a Winbond 1227w. (is this some sort of generic card?) The HD is a Quantum Prodrive 80AT and it dose not have a LED header. I could just solder the front panel LED to the HD LED, but a header on the controller card would be better.
Thought, ideas, suggestions
Thanks

When I was looking closely to the front panel LED's and wires, the green light bulb icon LED is not connected to anything. The Motherboard I was looking at is model IBM 201-V0. It is a green board, not a brown one. Where can I connect it? Isn't this just a power on led?
Yes, the green LED is just a power-on indication. See [here] for where it connects to on a standard 5170 motherboard.

The board has a reset header next to the battery header near PSU connection.
New to me. Supply a photo.

..I could just solder the front panel LED to the HD LED, but a header on the controller card would be better.
If the controller operates in latch mode, you will find that the HDD LED stays on after the first access. That is why in the IBM 5170, the IBM-supplied drives do not have a LED, and the front-panel LED goes to the controller.

Back