• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Everex EGA Card Troubleshooting

cfsimmons

I picked up an Everex EV659 recently, and I'd like to use it in my 5170. However when I install the card the system fails to POST, no beeps. The same goes for when I try it in my 5160.
Additionally, if I remove the ROM from the card the computer boots. I've found jump/switch settings for a similar revision, but this one seems to be slightly different.
I've never used an EGA card before, so it may just be that I have something set wrong. Are there any producedures I can try to isolate the problem?
1_2.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
I've got one of those, but haven't used it in many years. I can check my BIOS revision and see if it's different from yours, if it would help.

I just checked, and the rom is in fact an EPROM (NMC27C256Q200). Do you think it's likely to be corrupt? If so, I have a programmer that can program it, but not an eraser.

Well, you can read it in your programmer; should it become necessary to reprogram it, you can substitute a 28C256 EEPROM.

I'll see if I can dig out my card tonight.

Just dug my Everex EGA out. Darn, it's a EV-657B, which, I believe is slightly earlier than your 659--and doesn't feature a parallel port. It's a bit shorter than yours and even buries a 16-pin DIP under the EPROM. Very tight fit. Uses the Toshiba gate array chipset.

Close, but no cigar.

Last edited:
Darn, well thanks for looking.
If anyone else could provide an image of the rom, or suggestions of other other things to check for it'd be appreciated.

This might be a stupid question on my part, but being a 5160 did you set the dip switches correctly? Remember, switches 5 and 6 on. "Off off" is MDA, "Off on" is CGA 40 column, "on off" is CGA 80 column, "on on" is "use external ROM" such as EGA/VGA.

Oh, also if it boots with the ROM removed, I'd suspect you've got some other ROM sitting in the way. What else are in these machines? Anything sitting in the CXXXX range?

I believe I set the switches correctly, either way it shouldn't have stopped the machine from POSTing. And trying the card in the 5170 gives the same results.
The only other card I had in the AT was the fixed/floppy controller, and only the floppy controller in the XT.

Is it possible to test an EGA card without its rom loaded, with a MDA card installed?

Back