• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS2 Mystery

fatwizard

Veteran Member
Hi all, I have been trying to restore this PS2 Model 30 286 I have. I have it working well, but I have issues replacing the hard drive. Getting my hands on an original drive that still worked seemed unlikely, so I have tried to install an SCSI system. I finally sourced a Seagate ST-157N that works, but when I boot the system from floppy (IBM PC DOS 3.3) it generates an error before boot is complete. The error is "110, 00000 (S)". Service docs indicate that this error is a planer memory error. For the MCA model it indicates a memory parity error, but for the ISA model it just says memory error.

I have similar issues trying to use a XTA controller and drive (WDXT-140 and WD93028-X), and with an 8bit RLL controller and drive (WD2004-27X with a Seagate ST-157R). When I use either one of those, I get the memory error when I try to establish a partition. If I use a 16bit RLL controller with no BIOS onboard, the system doesn't recognize the presence of a hard drive.

Any 16bit SCSI controller I have tried paired with my Conner SCSI drives work flawlessly. It seems that any drive I try to use that has the right bolt pattern for the PS2 drive sled causes this error at some point. Modifying the sled looks to be problematic because the mounting holes would need to be recessed/counter sunk. I will just end up breaking it. Booting the system from the Conner drive, I have run Checkit looping for hours testing the mainboard and RAM without errors.

I guess I'm hoping that someone has run into something like this before. I don't have that much experience with the quirky PS2 line. These problem drive and controller combos work without issue on another system.

Back