• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5155, unable to boot from CF, but can boot from IDE (XT-IDE)?

mykrowyre

Experienced Member
I have an 80GB IDE HD which has been partitioned and formatted on my 486 laptop, and was able to boot DOS 6.22 from this drive using XTIDE without issue with my 5155.

I did this to create 6.22 system disk (360k floppy).

I booted from the new floppy with the compact flash card installed instead of the hard drive, and partitioned it without issue. I set the partition active, formatted it, and made it a system disk.

But, when I boot from compact flash, the XTIDE card sees the boot record, and it just hangs forever.

I tried smaller partitions all the way down to 32MB and I can read the disk if I boot from floppy, format it, make it a system disk, and copy DOS programs over to it... but when I try to boot, same thing... just hangs forever. but I can access the partition without a problem.

When create a small partition using MSDOS 2.3, I can boot from drive C: without issue so somehow it seems to be related to DOS6.22

Any ideas why it's refusing to boot only from the CF drive, but can boot from a real HD running the same OS?

I thought it may be related to FAT12 vs FAT16, but the IBM5155 booted from FAT16 just fine using the real HD. Confused!

Thanks

Last edited:
What revision of the XUB are you using, What size is the CF card, You could try running fdisk /mbr first but that don't always work. Did you wipe the CF card first before using fdisk / format, Use the Lo-Tech utility " WipeDisk" and try again if you didn't.

I have an XT-IDE CF setup in my 5150 that sometimes gives me the same behavior of not booting ... I was playing around with it the other night and discovered that it was being caused by something with the video card, oddly enough. If I have this one particular video card in my system (It's a Magitronic CGA), the CF will not boot. Swapped in a different video card and it boots every time. Weird stuff, but have you perhaps tried pulling your expansion cards to see if any might be conflicting with the XT-IDE? Maybe try a different video card just for kicks.

I suspect the problem might be that my compact flash card is not fully IDE compliant.

It works, but for whatever reason booting is an issue.

It could be a CF card issue, but it's far more likely to be a partitioning issue. Run WIPEDISK on the card to destroy the old partition table:

https://www.lo-tech.co.uk/wiki/WipeDisk

Then repartition and format with the CF card hooked up to the XT-IDE -- *not* in another computer.

The video card issue is curious -- which revision of the XT-IDE are you using?

Thanks for the tips.

Ok well that was embarrassing

FDISK /MBR

How could I forget something so obvious. I guess it's been THAT long.

Thanks!

Back