• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Datacomp DFK-555 keyboard resto

xjas

Experienced Member
A while ago I got a stack of basket-case mechanical keyboards that I've been restoring. This one is a Datacomp DFK-555 or maybe 86-43 according to the PCB. I can't seem to find a schmatic or a good photo of the inside of one of these online. Does anyone one & want to pop it open, or can help me answer some questions?

1.jpg
Note: as usual, the forum's software will chew up and spit out these pics like a pitbull pup with your homework, so click here to see all the pics in full size.

For starters, I need to re-attach the cable. I have what I 95% believe is the original cable, but I don't know the pinout for the header on the board itself. The pins are just labelled 1-5 and the wires in the cable are color coded. There's also a ground wire that's not part of the cable, that was cut:

2.jpg

There might also be some missing components. On the back, U7 doesn't look like there was ever anything soldered there, but it does look like there was a voltage regulator removed at J4.

3.jpg

There are a few empty spots on the other side, too (R12, R13, and a spot for a piezo buzzer), but like U7 it doesn't look like the solder pads were ever used.

Here's the innards from the front & rear, if it helps:

4.jpg
5.jpg

So, TL;DR questions:
- what is the pinout for the cable header?
- do I need a voltage regulator at J4? If so, what voltage?
- does it matter that U7, R12, and R13 are missing?
- where should I hook up the ground wire to?

Hi,

This reply might be too late, but ... we just added that exact same model keyboard to the collection in the UVic Library today. I haven't tested it yet but it appears to be in better condition than yours. The cable is still attached, anyhow. You'd be welcome to open it up and compare with yours if that would help you out at all.

cheers,
John

Back