Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM 5154 Problems & Electrolytic Caps Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IBM 5154 Problems & Electrolytic Caps Question

A long while ago I got an IBM 5154 in very good condition (it was not cheap though) to go with my IBM 5162. I was very pleased with the setup but one thing kept bothering me. The monitor had this green tint to it when you first turned it on, but it went away as you kept the machine running. I assumed this was the fault of old electrolytic capacitors, and since I wanted to try out my new desoldering gun, I decided to replace all of them. However, when I replaced all of them, it still had some problems. The green tint was gone. However, the display was a bit shaky and looked like it was vibrating ever so slightly. Sometimes it would pulse in and out, as if the display got slightly bigger and slightly smaller. Every so often I would hear popping noises, but no smoke or hissing so I wasn't sure if it was a capacitor bursting or not. Eventually there was a popping noise accompanied by the entire display turning solid green. At that point, I just set the monitor aside for later. Eventually, when I came back to it, it wouldn't even turn on. The power indicator light would come on, but there was no white raster and no video signal. It still makes the high pitched noises when syncing to the signal, but displays no picture. I'm now feeling like I replaced one of the capacitors with one of the wrong value. I made sure to replace all of the with identical replacements, except for two which were rated for 40v. I couldn't find ones for 40v so I replaced them with 50v ones. I checked all of the big turquoise resistors and none of them were shorted. I was wondering if anyone had a list (or could make one) of all of the values of the electrolytic caps of the 5154 so I could double check that I replaced all of the old ones correctly. If anyone has any insight as to what is happening, please feel free to share with me.

Perhaps some caps were replaced "backwards"? (Don't always trust board markings!)
    Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

On which boards did you replace capacitors ? The power supply board is where the capacitors usually fail.
      Its in a metal cage, runs hot, and the original capacitors temp rating was only at 85C. I have two 5154's
      and have replaced all electrolytic capacitors in the power supplies. Have never needed to replace them in
      any of the other boards.

Comment

I replaced the capacitors in the power supply, video board, and main board. I even replaced the capacitor on the neck board. When caps fail, they excrete electrolyte over the board, right? So if the capacitor failed, I should be able to see fluid below it, right? To your knowledge, are there any misleading board markings where I could have put in the capacitor backwards? I checked all of them to make sure they matched the board's markings.

Comment

Caps can fail without spilling their guts. Sometimes, it's just a dead short.

There have been instances where board markings are wrong, but I don't know about the 5154.

Comment

These pages below show the expected voltages on the power supply connectors.
            I would start by checking these.

Have you removed or replaced those two oil filled capacitors across the AC line ?
            .1 uf X2 C5/C6? I've had these caps blow on both monitors and they make a mess
            and a lot of smoke. They wouldn't cause a problem like what you're seeing but
            its definitely a good idea to get those out before they blow. The monitor will work
            fine without those, so you can safely remove them and replace later with the
            correct parts, need to be X2 rated.

Page11.jpg
            PowerSupplySchematic1.jpg
            PowerSupplySchematic2.jpg
            Last edited by mikey99; July 13, 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willmurray461 View Post
              A long while ago I got an IBM 5154 in very good condition (it was not cheap though) to go with my IBM 5162. I was very pleased with the setup but one thing kept bothering me. The monitor had this green tint to it when you first turned it on, but it went away as you kept the machine running. I assumed this was the fault of old electrolytic capacitors, and since I wanted to try out my new desoldering gun, I decided to replace all of them. However, when I replaced all of them, it still had some problems. The green tint was gone. However, the display was a bit shaky and looked like it was vibrating ever so slightly. Sometimes it would pulse in and out, as if the display got slightly bigger and slightly smaller. Every so often I would hear popping noises, but no smoke or hissing so I wasn't sure if it was a capacitor bursting or not. Eventually there was a popping noise accompanied by the entire display turning solid green. At that point, I just set the monitor aside for later. Eventually, when I came back to it, it wouldn't even turn on. The power indicator light would come on, but there was no white raster and no video signal. It still makes the high pitched noises when syncing to the signal, but displays no picture. I'm now feeling like I replaced one of the capacitors with one of the wrong value. I made sure to replace all of the with identical replacements, except for two which were rated for 40v. I couldn't find ones for 40v so I replaced them with 50v ones. I checked all of the big turquoise resistors and none of them were shorted. I was wondering if anyone had a list (or could make one) of all of the values of the electrolytic caps of the 5154 so I could double check that I replaced all of the old ones correctly. If anyone has any insight as to what is happening, please feel free to share with me.
              The story does sound like you cured the original fault with the re-capping and introduced a new fault. The type of fault sounds like one of the replaced capacitors was installed in reverse and failed later. It could have been a coincidence and the new fault is unrelated to the first one or the recapping. A capacitor of the wrong value would unlikely do it, most likely one got installed in reverse. So double check each one first and check on a meter for shorts and use an ESR meter to check each one in circuit.

Comment

Here's a thought: does the 5154 use a nonpolar cap in its PSU (like most SMPSUs do)? Did you replace it with a similar nonpolar unit?

Comment

I did replace the x2 caps, so that shouldn't be the problem. I kept all of the original caps, and none of them seem to be non polar. I'll go check to see if any of them were installed backwards again. If they were, would they be shorted, or would they read OL (open circuit)? I don't have an ESR meter, but I do have a multimeter.

Comment

Do you have an oscilloscope? It's a must-have when messing with monitors. Be careful with that thing, CRTs can be lethal if you accidentally touch the wrong thing. Stay away from the anode cap, the neck board, and the flyback when servicing a CRT device.
                    There was most likely nothing wrong with your monitor as far as the green tint goes. Sometimes when CRTs get old, the guns can take longer to warm up and start emitting. Sounds like in your case the green one was more active than the red and blue. Once the CRT warms up to normal operating temperature, it will balance out. If I remember correctly, IBM listed the warm-up time for the 5154 as either 20 or 30 minutes. That's how long it takes for the filament to warm up everything in the gun assembly to temperature and for all the electronics to balance out temperature wise. A full recap was most likely not necessarily.

I would start on the video board. Thoroughly inspect it with a magnifier under bright light to find any obvious physical damage, if any exists. If you have access to an oscilloscope, start at the video input and trace the video signal through the circuit. I would advise you use a clip-type lead, and only move the lead when the monitor is off to avoid shorting anything/getting shocked. While it could be the video board, the presence of a loud "pop" makes me lean more towards the HV board.

There are a few caps in the monitor which are specified to be low-ESR type caps. Did you replace those with low-ESR replacements? If not, the resistance of the cap could cause it to heat up during operation, causing voltage fluctuations and eventually component failure. This might explain the display jitter.

Good luck in your repair, and be safe!

Comment

One interesting thing about the 5154 monitor, the generation of the EHT (for the final anode voltage for the CRT) is independent from the horizontal scan system (it has to be because its multi-standard for CGA & EGA).

This means that the scan circuits can be working just fine and just the EHT for the CRT final anode can fail independently. In the process of doing that, the picture can change size (because in magnetic deflection, the amount of deflection the beam experiences is inversely proportional to the square root of the EHT voltage). So for example, if the EHT was dropping due to a fault, the picture would expand in size, or say if the EHT increased , the picture (in both width & height) decreases in size. The changing size picture before it failed and the popping sounds , suggests an EHT failure. The all green screen suggests a problem in the video amplifiers or the circuits that drive the cathodes and grids of the CRT.

Comment

I have two spare 5154 power supplies, took a picture of one and marked the positive (red + sign) end of the caps.
                        The polarity appears to agree with the half moon type markings on the board....the white side being the negative.
                        Some of the caps do also have a + sign on the board which is correct.

5154-PS-Cap-Polarity.jpg

If the power supply caps polarity are all correct, I would still check those power supply voltages from the page I posted earlier.
                        Maybe you have a bad (new) cap.
                        Last edited by mikey99; July 14, 2019, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Just curious, which capacitors need to be low ESR? I didn't make sure to replace any of the caps with low ESR ones, which could explain failures.

Comment

Originally posted by willmurray461 View Post
                            Just curious, which capacitors need to be low ESR? I didn't make sure to replace any of the caps with low ESR ones, which could explain failures.
                            None that I am aware of in the power supply. I used generic Xicon 105C temp rated capacitors that I purchased from partsexpress.com.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey99 View Post
                              None that I am aware of in the power supply. I used generic Xicon 105C temp rated capacitors that I purchased from partsexpress.com.
                              I seem to remember the one on the neck board being low-esr, along with one or two other caps on the HV board.

Comment

Working...
                              X