• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

"Snark Barker" - Soundblaster 1.0 Clone

I saw one of these on eBay and thought the name was hilarious. It is good to finally see a clone. Perhaps people will give up on those overpriced adlib cards now :p

I thought the only real difference between the 1.0 and and 1.5 was an upgraded DSP and socketed/optional CMS chips?

Hey, now there's a card with my name on it :p The ones on eBay are just folks running Eric's design and trying to make a buck off it. Eric is on our #vc IRC as ejs, I don't know if he's supplying bare boards or if some "blessed" source has organized a board run.

Last edited:
Been following its development on Vogons for some time now. https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.ph...&sid=cf097374d46758c15814266ac7561635#p773237 There is also a Galaxy clone in development.

It'll be interest to see what the final cost will be. Considering it has a lot more components, the board is bigger and take longer to assemble the cost will segnifacantly higher than the Ablib clones.

Well....
There are numerous projects on Vogons. GUS clone and Adlib clone's.

I think a SB 1320c (1.5) is my oldest card along with a 1350 (2.0), 8 bit ISA. Most of what I actually use is SB Pro 2.0 and above.

Would people be interested in buying these things on here? I know I'd like to own one or two, so I *might* be interested in making kits or something like that.

Fairly certain 1.5 just removed CMS chips in place of sockets.

2.0 had auto-init, CMS sockets, and increased sample rate to 44 KHz.

PRO added 16-bit slot IRQs and DMAs, stereo output at half-rates, dual OPL2, but was still only 8-bit sample width

PRO 2.0 added OPL3

SB 16 added 16-bit sampling, full 44 KHz for stereo, and Waveblaster header

Might check with Eric/ejs and make sure someone else isn't already doing kits. I'd build one!

Might check with Eric/ejs and make sure someone else isn't already doing kits. I'd build one!

Yeah, not a bad idea, though he did not mention it when I spoke to him last. I'll see him this weekend and try to remember to ask him about it.

But in the meantime, here is a poll you can fill out for me to gauge interest. And here is the BOM with current prices (worst case quantities), and as you can see this thing won't come cheap. My best guess, with reasonable quantities on the parts, this thing will come in somewhere around $100 for the kit.

Indeed, kitting small runs isn't cheap, especially if you have to get vintage parts for it. Not even counting one's own time.

Indeed, kitting small runs isn't cheap, especially if you have to get vintage parts for it. Not even counting one's own time.

Well if I do this, I probably won't add in the Ebay things, just ship them with a list to get off Ebay (search terms).

Back