Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Difference between XT and AT power supplies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between XT and AT power supplies

Since the question came up, and there are few good search results, for the sake of any eBayer who has obtained a PC/XT or AT form power supply to sell or is looking to buy one, but is not sure which is which (scale can be hard to determine from some pictures), here are some examples.

First, both XT and AT power supplies use a connector like this:
    AT Power Plug.jpg
    Clearly it is not an ATX connector. An AT power supply may connect to and power an XT motherboard and and XT power supply may connect to and power an AT motherboard, but the two have different form factors and will not fit in a case designed for the other kind.

Generic XT Power Supply.jpg
    This is an example of a generic clone "XT" power supply. It may be used in an IBM PC (5150), an IBM XT (5160), or a generic "XT" clone that uses the same size case.

It measures about 8 1/4" long, 5 1/2" deep, and 4 3/4" high, not including the switch or the raised shielding around the switch.

Note that many clones used their own form factor and proprietary power supplies.

Generic AT Power Supply.jpg
    This is an example of a generic clone desktop "AT" power supply. It may be used in an IBM AT (5170) or a generic "AT" clone that uses the same size case. Desktop AT clones may contain 286, 386, 486, Pentium 1, and even a some AMD-K6 motherboards.

It measures about 8 1/4" long, 5 7/8" deep, and 5 7/8" high, excluding the switch, but including the "overhang". This style of power supply leaves an area at the bottom that allows a full sized AT motherboard to extend underneath it.

Note that power supplies for later tower-style systems do not have an attached switch. Again, note that many clones used their own form factor and proprietary power supplies.

Third party power supplies were common upgrades and replacements in genuine IBM equipment, and generic form XT and AT power supplies were common in full-sized XT and AT desktop clones.

Thankfully, neither have rainbow-LED lit fans.

Electrically there was no difference between XT and AT PSU, they all followed this standard until the end of the (Baby-)AT Mainboard formfactor was no more used. The difference is usually watt power output and psu-chassis formfactor, amount of connectors for drives. At least there were four important chassis formfactors. You displayed two of them, the first is the IBM 51xx XT desktop case like one, like in first picture. The 2nd was the one in ATs, not much different from the first but a big bigger and having this edge spared out for the mainboard. The 3rd was used in early bigtowers, it reminds a bit on your 2nd, but it has power switch at a long cable to place it at the front panel of the tower chassis. 4th type was more compact one, used in later more compact desktops, large and minitowers, also with power switch at a long cable. Besides that there were special formfactor PSU, mostly compact ones, for pizza box PC and whatever, all using the same power connector. Some brands like Commodore, Olivetti, Compaq, HP, ... used to have their own formfactors and connectors for their own PC chassis designs, often with own style connectors.
    <album>

Comment

Thanks @SomeGuy!
      The PSU dimensions are especially hard to find (I didn't). As a novice IBM 5150 owner, I'm not used to seeing a 63W power supply almost anywhere. Even my laptops have bigger PSUs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1ST1 View Post
        Electrically there was no difference between XT and AT PSU,....
        There is at least one difference electrically that I can think of. The wiring of the motherboard power connector P8. See the following links to minuszerodegrees.net thanks to our member MODEM7.

P8 and P9 5160

P8 and P9 5170

Comment

Practically speaking, the addition of the +5 line to the 5170 connector makes no difference. If you plug a 5170 PSU into a 5160 motherboard, it will still work as pin 2 doesn't even have a physical connection. If you plug a 5160 PSU into a 5170 motherboard, again, there's no practical difference that I know of, as all +5 lines on P1 and P2 are tied together.
          Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

I remembered ~25 yeas back to have upgraded someone's already not in original condition beeing 5150 with a 486-VLB mainboard and VGA card. I did not swap the PSU. It was running nice.

Most difficult was to get the four half height drives in the mounts of the two full height drive bays.
            <album>

Comment

Is anyone aware of a source for new production PC/XT type power supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
                Is anyone aware of a source for new production PC/XT type power supplies?
                You can buy new AT power supplies on Amazon, but those are in the standard AT (square) size. I do not think anyone makes them in the old 5150/5160/5170/5162 form factor. I just bought a new one and transplanted all it's innards to a dead 5150 power supply box and it worked out quite nicely, though did not some soldering and I had to engineer a way to mount it in the old PSU chassis.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
                IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
                Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

Originally posted by lutiana View Post
                  You can buy new AT power supplies on Amazon, but those are in the standard AT (square) size. I do not think anyone makes them in the old 5150/5160/5170/5162 form factor. I just bought a new one and transplanted all it's innards to a dead 5150 power supply box and it worked out quite nicely, though did not some soldering and I had to engineer a way to mount it in the old PSU chassis.
                  Soldering doesn't bother me in the least but I'm super picky about mounting things securely. In order to be happy with such a transplant I'd probably have to fabricate mounting adapters from sheet metal or similar and I'm really not willing to put in that kind of effort to be honest.

Comment

Heh, when we were doing a proof-of-concept project back in the day that involved multiple PC-XTs, we bought Taiwanese clone boards and accessory cards cheap and used some PSUs scavenged from some old Fujitsu terminals (no keyboards). All done on bare 5/8" plywood--not even a case.

Basically, you can buy bare PSUs with +5 and +/- 12 pretty easily; the challenge is putting them into some enclosures.

Comment

Soldering doesn't bother me in the least but I'm super picky about mounting things securely. In order to be happy with such a transplant I'd probably have to fabricate mounting adapters from sheet metal or similar and I'm really not willing to put in that kind of effort to be honest.
                      I'm afraid that in this hobby, especially when dealing with vintage computers, that's the kind of thing you need to be willing to do. Getting original PC/XT power supplies or even one of the many clones sold as replacements back then can be a challenge. They pop up on eBay every now and then but be prepared to pay up.
                      AtariPC.net
                      Atari PC | IBM Compatible Series

Comment

I've often wondered if one of the "Meanwell" PSU's would be a suitable donor for a PC/XT PSU case, Never done a transplant job myself but i'd go that route as a last resort, I prefer to repair the original if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Flamin Joe View Post
                          I'm afraid that in this hobby, especially when dealing with vintage computers, that's the kind of thing you need to be willing to do. Getting original PC/XT power supplies or even one of the many clones sold as replacements back then can be a challenge. They pop up on eBay every now and then but be prepared to pay up.
                          I'm willing to expend effort, just not in a "bodge" situation. I'd be much more amenable to just getting a old or non working XT PSU and doing a component level refurbishment on the PCB. The result would be higher quality in my opinion than a new board shoehorned into the enclosure.

Comment

Originally posted by Malc View Post
                            I've often wondered if one of the "Meanwell" PSU's would be a suitable donor for a PC/XT PSU case, Never done a transplant job myself but i'd go that route as a last resort, I prefer to repair the original if possible.
                            I've done it on PC AT PSUs. Modern SMPSU design is considerably better than the stuff from the 1980s. Lots of room in one of those AT-sized PSUs.

Comment

I'm willing to expend effort, just not in a "bodge" situation. I'd be much more amenable to just getting a old or non working XT PSU and doing a component level refurbishment on the PCB. The result would be higher quality in my opinion than a new board shoehorned into the enclosure.
                              Eh, when I did it most of the screw holes lined up, and I just used one or two of those nylon spacers to hold up the remaining hole off the metal. It was very straight forward, and I then knew that I had a brand new 300W PSU in my PC that would not go thermal nuclear and take out the rest of the components. Took me something like 30 minutes to do it.

But to all their own, though I have my doubts about you actually finding those power supplies anywhere, even non-working ones. So you may actually have very little choice in the end.
                              Last edited by lutiana; January 2, 2020, 11:22 AM.

IBM 5160 - 360k, 1.44Mb Floppies, NEC V20, 8087-3, 45MB MFM Hard Drive, Vega 7 Graphics, IBM 5154 Monitor running MS-DOS 5.00
                              IBM PCJr Model 48360 640kb RAM, NEC V20,, jrIDE Side Cart, 360kb Floppy drives running MS-DOS 5.00
                              Evergreen Am5x86-133 64Mb Ram, 8gb HDD, SB16 in a modified ATX case running IBM PC-DOS 7.10

Comment

Working...
                              X