• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What Ver of DOS on HD if booting from FD ??

KLund1

Veteran Member
Hi all;
I got another working 5150 with a working HD, kind of.
The system wont boot from the HD. If I boot from FD, DOS 3.30, I can see and run programs from the HD.
How can I find out what DOS version is on the HD? Then how to re-write the dos files without wiping the drive with a format c: /s?
If I run some DOS system programs from HD I get 'wrong dos version'. The HD Dos file dates are 1/1/80, or 8/14/84.
Thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
Thanks

8/14/84 would be IBM PC-DOS 3.00.

Really, I would recommend just updating to at least IBM PC-DOS 3.3.

The best way to update the system would be to get Norton Utilities 4.5 (4.5 is the best version for 8088 class machines) and use Disk Doctor to update the system files. You will also want to test the disk to make sure there are no bad sectors in the system area. Then just copy the rest of the DOS files in to C:\DOS or wherever.

Of course, as usual, once you get things set up and any potentially important data/programs archived off, follow up with Spinrite.

Thanks,
I found a copy of 4.5 but it is an .img file. My win 98Se machine for some reason can not run WinImage ver 6,7,or 8. I get a pagefault error and it crashes. I tried in just win 98 and 95 and get the same error. I think must be something with the motherboard or drivers. Is there another program to write disk images to floppy disk? I tried the DOS version if diskcopy and it did not recognize the .img file.

Really, I would recommend just updating to at least IBM PC-DOS 3.3.
I second that. PC-DOS 3.30 added features from the AT world and contained a few bugfixes, also.
For example, it could handle an AT-style Real Time Clock and newer disk formats (like 3.5" with 1.44MB).
And it came with a nice set of new, slick manuals that included pictures and a parrot as mascot. ;)

1oRj2aA.gif

I use WinImage 6.1 under Windows 95 all the time and have no problems.

If something is borked inside Windows, other windows based tools might give you problems, so you might consider a DOS based tool. In DOS I like using ImageDisk because when something goes wrong it is fairly informative, but the catch is you have to convert IMG files to IMD first. But there is a conversion guide here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/6931/how-to-convert-raw-images-to-imagedisk

[

If something is borked inside Windows, other windows based tools might give you problems, so you might consider a DOS based tool. In DOS I like using ImageDisk because when something goes wrong it is fairly informative, but the catch is you have to convert IMG files to IMD first. But there is a conversion guide here: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/6931/how-to-convert-raw-images-to-imagedisk[/QUOTE]

I seem to having trouble finding a download either ImageDisk or bin2imd. suggestions? thanks

I do not have the DR version. Do you have a link? Diskcopy is too generic to do a google search.
I could use link to bin2img and Diskimage.

Thanks
but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
I have been having this huge issue for so long. I can not make real disks from the internet!! I know it is nobodies fault here. But I am total frustrated. I have spent many many weeks on this. (but not in a row)
I have built 4 tweener machines. installed win 95/98 so many times I have lost count. changed hardware so much I have a huge stack of parts in the corner. Including a box of cables. And I still can't make a real disk!! I always get a page fault error from winimage 6,7,8 in all the setups. I have used 95/95 upgrade and retail disks. various ISO's from the web no difference. I use drivers from the manufacturer, or windows generic drivers. Still no change. What is the trick! this is not rocket science.

DR/Caldera "diskcopy", like so many other DOS based disk copiers, only supports their own proprietary format. They just happen to use the same file extension. Most IMG files out there are "raw sector images" as used by WinImage, rawwrite, "dd", and Mike Brutman's DskImage

Seriously, just try the ImageDisk http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img/index.htm method I described from DOS (Win9x "Restart to ms-dos"). If there is something wrong with your hardware, hopefully it will give you some clue. ImageDisk completely bypasses DOS, so if there is any problem with the configuration/drivers, it should not care.

As for the other problems, perhaps you got a bad/wrong version of ImageDisk? It kind of sounds like you might have a virus floating around on your machines. Are any of your drives reported as running in BIOS compatiblity mode?

Thanks
but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
Do this...

U/l these IMG files and post a link to them. That way some others can have a crack at it.

Also, post a link to where you originally got them.

Or just post the link to their original source if you're too spent right now to do anything more at the moment.

It also just occurred to me that installing WinImage 6.1 on the original release of Windows 95 requires an updated COMCTL32.DLL, and its setup program does not tell you that.

Thanks but no joy here. same message as before. image file corrupt, incorrect version, not a diskcopy file.
I have been having this huge issue for so long. I can not make real disks from the internet!! I know it is nobodies fault here.
But I am total frustrated. I have spent many many weeks on this. (but not in a row). [..]

On a vintage PC, I often use one of these:

a) WinImage 3 on Windows 3.1x (works on a 286)
-> video https://youtu.be/2HIk4YhBrGk
b) Disk Copy Fast (DCF, DOS)
-> video https://youtu.be/0zEVBO84afk
c) QCopy v4 (DOS)
-> link (shareware) http://reimagery.com/fsfd/bin/Simtel_DOS_1993/simtel/simtel20/MSDOS/DSKUTL/QCOPY40.ZIP

Thanks everyone!
Much appreciate all the help.
Stone this is a run of IMD testfdc from the link you provided in #15.
Perhaps this could shed some light on why I am having trouble.
I am not 100% sure what I am see in these results, but i think I have a FDC issue? Of I am using teh wrong switches.
Speaking of which. I am not not sure what the command string is to use idm to write a real disk.
There are a lot of needed options that I do not know.
Could you provide some help with that?

Attachments

• DSCN3000[1].jpg
    DSCN3000[1].jpg
    89 KB · Views: 1
Back