• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cloning an old hard drive

Exceter

Experienced Member
My mom has an old Unisys 286 computer with a lot of data on it from my childhood. The computer still boots and works correctly and I want to make a copy of everything that's on it. However, my only way of getting data on/off the computer is with 1.2M floppy disks or possibly with a Gotek floppy emulator(if I take the computer apart). Are there any old DOS programs(similar to an installer) out there that allow you to bundle a set of files across multiple floppy disks?

DOS has backup and restore. You could also use laplink (or fastlynx). I used ghost and an XT-IDE to backup a hard card from an old dead compaq, that I had installed in a 5160. Some versions of ghost support serial port images too.

Oldie but a goodie. MS came out with a clone with Interlink/Intersrvr, which may also work on your 286 system. I think it came out with MSDOS 5.

fastlynx is better, in my opinion, because you can use the DOS client on the old computer and send data to a windows client on the new machine.

Another idea: Would an XT-IDE be able to co-exist with the MFM controller? If so, I might be able to directly copy from one drive to another.

Yes, that's how I did it with ghost. MFM hardcard with an XT-IDE and a CF card. It worked fine. You could also just xcopy, but I wanted to see if ghost would work on something so old.

Yep, common use for XT-IDEs: copy the original onto whatever is hooked up to the XT-IDE, then remove the original and let the XT-IDE replace it.

Yep, common use for XT-IDEs: copy the original onto whatever is hooked up to the XT-IDE, then remove the original and let the XT-IDE replace it.

I tried this on my 5150 and the XT-IDE bios didn't work. The other drive is a Seagate ST238R with a ST11R controller. I tried changing the XT-IDE to D800, and still no luck. Any suggestions?

Another vote for Fastlynx. As long as you have a copy running on the new pc, you scan set the other pc to "listen" and push a copy of FX over to it.

There is also Norton Commander, which can both replicate itself over a serial connection and show both remote and local files and folders simultaneously.

Back