• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compact Flash on IBM 5170

soyburger

Hello all. I'm trying to set up a compact flash on an IBM 5170. I've switched the original BIOS chips for Quadtel and I'm using a Seagate Hard Drive and floppy controller. I have a CF card that I already got working and I can read it by booting to the floppy and reading the C drive. I think my issues can be summarized here:
I don't know the correct "Hard Drive" settings in Bios to address a 128mb Compact Flash card.
I can get it to boot if I use an 8-bit XTIDE card, but then the CF is only using 8 bit bus and not the 16 bit bus. (If it's not too much of a performance hit then this is the solution I'll go with)
If I plug the CF into the Seagate controller the XTIDE bios can't see it and it won't boot to the drive.
I don't know if I need to use both the XTIDE universal bios or if I can get the proper settings to just use the Quadtel Bios and save myself a slot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated or if this has already been addressed pointing me to the proper thread would be appreciated. Thanks again.

Use the XT-IDE BIOS and a regular IDE controller. In my 5170 I have a ROM chip in my network card (3C509 card) that has the XT-IDE BIOS on it, and I plug my CF into a regular 16bit IDE controller. Works perfectly.

That’s what I’m trying to do, but it doesn’t work perfectly. Is this because my xtide has an ide controller as well? is there a way to disable it? It’s the one made by Tex-elec.

Thanks.

Use the XT-IDE BIOS and a regular IDE controller. In my 5170 I have a ROM chip in my network card (3C509 card) that has the XT-IDE BIOS on it, and I plug my CF into a regular 16bit IDE controller. Works perfectly.

What size of CF card can you run? 265MB works perfectly, but bigger cards (1GB CF-SD or 16GB CF) dont seem to work in th 5170, but in a pentium MMX also with XTIDE bios it works good.

I use a ThunderByte anti-virus card and replaced its EPROM. I use a HDD as first drive and a CF as second one. This enables me to exchange data in a relatively quick way.

Back