Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM EGA Card Memory Expansion Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news and bad news...

So the good news is... It works. I soldered it together and it required zero rework. Always nice when that happens.
    The bad news is there's some fitment issues. The holes for the standoffs had to be drilled out a bit... Not sure yet if that was a design problem or if I just hit the maximum size the board house can drill. Also I think I need a longer pin header to connect to the EGA card, because I have to bend the board in order to plug it in completely if using the standoffs.

Overall not too bad for a prototype!
    Attached Files

Comment

Nice job on the board!

Comment

outstanding!

Comment

You might be able to just use a M-F header to extend the pins and get the proper board spacing.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey99 View Post
            You might be able to just use a M-F header to extend the pins and get the proper board spacing.
            Good thinking. Though that may add too much length, really only need another 4mm or so

Comment

Good job, I suppose that many geeks here welcome this replacement when it will be for good price.
              IBM PC 5150(A): IBM PC 5150(B): IBM PC 5160 (64-256k): IBM PC 5160 (256-640k): IBM PC 5170 (099): IBM PC 5170 (319/339): IBM PC 5140: IBM PC 5162: IBM PC 5155: IBM PC Expansion Unit 5161:
              WANTED!: IBM 5175 monitor, IBM 5145 monitor, IBM PC/XT/AT rear screws, Intel INBOARD 386AT card, IBM 5140 keyboard, very early IBM PC (S/N: under 5000)
              My IBM PC hardware collection

Comment

Has anyone found a reasonable price on the (24) 4416 memory chips needed for this board ?

I've always wondered if it would be possible to modify the card slightly to use
                fewer and cheaper memory chips (ex one bank of 256K chips)

I think it depends on how the memory is configured on the card, just seen as
                192K or does the card access each bank separately.

Comment

Originally posted by mikey99 View Post
                  Has anyone found a reasonable price on the (24) 4416 memory chips needed for this board ?
                  There is a compatibility table at the bottom of [here].

You could win eBay auction 392596996728 really cheaply. 400 pieces of M5M4416P-15. Current bid: US $3.99. Put aside 24 plus some spares, then use the remainder as Christmas tree decorations (although, probably more appropriate as b-tree decorations).

eBay item 174023679712 (buy-it-now) is for 40 pieces of MB81416. That corresponds to about 50 US cents (plus postage) for each chip, and includes enough spares to last you until the death of the planet due of climate change.

Comment

Thanks modem7 ! Your eBay search skills are better than mine
                    Picked up one of the 40 chip lots, that's a great price.

Comment

I would very much like to build one of these, are you willing to release the design files?

Comment

I'd be very interested as well. Also curious how much it cost to have this printed, and what the cost of components were?

Comment

IBM EGA 8-bit ISA Card with Memory Expansion Module 6480099 1501530XM

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283787270426?nordt=true

The Memory Expansion Card seems to be early type than IBM original EGA card.

I didn't bid it because I've already have IBM original EGA card (P/N:6278173XM).

Comment

I already have an IBM EGA, paying $200+ on eBay is unacceptable

Comment

I don't mind sharing the design files for this. You can download KiCad and Gerber files here
                              I'd recommend using the longest pin header you can find for the connector. The most expensive part of the build is the memory itself. I found a decent deal on UTSource, but some patience watching eBay auctions might work as well. The rest of the parts (sockets, capacitors, etc) total less than $20 from Mouser.

I do also have some spare PCBs due to the minimum order quantity from the board house. Maybe $5 plus shipping? I really just need to open an Etsy shop or something these days

Comment

In preparation for this, I pulled out my IBM EGA and stuck it in my 5150. It works, but checkit is showing memory errors between 0A0000h and 0A001Eh. There appear to only be 8 memory ICs on the EGA, but I don't recognize the part numbers. Also do not know which one would correspond to this range. I've attached a photo. Any thoughts?

20200229_162902.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X