• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Do the IBM PS2 8513s have world wide voltage switch inside?

Red_Donkey

Hi. Looking for IBM PS2 8513 monitors on eBay. I live in Europe, so 220v. But most monitors are in the US. On the back they show only american voltage, but is there by default a switch inside these monitors for easy flicking?

My (UK) 8513 has 200-240V on the label, no evidence that it could run on 120V based on the case.

I would guess that all the North American models were made at Armonk whilst all the European models were made at Greenock and so it would have been a simple matter to have a different PSU for the two markets.

When it comes to the PS/2 system units though I have seen Armonk units turn up in the UK and Greenock ones in the US so possibly the system units were made switchable so they could move inventory around between the sites but for whatever reason they didn't want/need to do this for the monitors?

Cool, thanks. I ended up getting a more expensive one from Europe. At least I know it should work, although it hasn't arrived yet.

If I look at the PSU to the PS/2 external floppy drive (4869), the PSU (inside a metal cage) is configurable with on-board jumpers for 120 or 240VAC mains. Mind that the nameplate says 120V. So, there's a possibility that the same PSU is used in the 8513, just permanently jumpered one way or the other. It would make some sense; using a common power supply means one fewer vendor to deal with.

Back