• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How to bypass password on an old Windows 95 Microsoft Plus vintage IBM Aptiva?

DaSalmon

I recently dug out an old family computer from over 21 years ago! It still has Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem, and other older games I used to play on it. However I cannot actually log in as it an old password is on it, and I have no idea what it could be. How can I bypass or reset it? I tried that old Windows 95 dialog box trick posted online, but it doesn't work on Windows 95 Microsoft Plus. Is there any other work around? I'm so close, yet so far away to reliving those old school games! I'm shocked it even works at all! :D

You can hit escape at the Windows 95 login screen. Win9x does not really care about accounts and what not.

You can hit escape at the Windows 95 login screen. Win9x does not really care about accounts and what not.
You can also simply type in a username which doesn't exist and it will happily create a new account for you!

The user accounts in Windows 9x was really just a way of allowing different users of the computer to have their own desktop and theme (and also some per-app settings like separate browser favourites). It didn't actually secure the computer in any way.

All the user accounts are stored in C:\WINDOWS\PROFILES. From there you can access whatever data was in that user's account (eg the desktop will be C:\WINDOWS\PROFILES\<USERNAME>\DESKTOP

Back