Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Internal OPL3 ISA 8 btis (PCXT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internal OPL3 ISA 8 btis (PCXT)

I designed a new low profile OPL3 sound card from the scheme provided by the existing TexElec Resound OPL3 in which, as you can see, it is a four-channel sound card based on the Yamaha's YMF262 chip and use of two high quality WIMA film capacitors per channel to prevent the passage of direct current in the audio output.

In this case, I thought that with the two primary channels it is more than enough. As an experiment by TexElec it is fine but no game or application of the time uses the other two. On the other hand, I have replaced the port selection DIP with one of 2 switches, to select with the help of an SPLD only four possible ports, including the default 388h used by Adlib and the 220h to "cheat" some games pretending to be a Sound Blaster ... I think the rest is too much and they are still purely experimental, with this measure I also gain some space and eliminate other chips involved in this task:

As you can see, I have also decided to make it internal regardless of the external audio jack in order to be used in current PC cases that have the typical USB + Audio connector on the front, so that a bracket is not necessary , being enough with one of the blind brackets that come standard with the box.

I have launched with this project to provide a sound card to my NuXT Monotech tucked into a low profile desktop, although it could be used in any other PCXT and compatible.

Soon in my Tindie store in two flavors (Fully assembled or only PCB)... it will be with ENIG + Gold Fingers finish for greater durability and reliability in the transmission of the ISA port signals, I just have to check the routing and scheme before proceeding to the PCB manufacturing order.
    Last edited by spark2k06; February 3, 2020, 12:46 AM.

Well, according to this website the ports are:

220h or 240h (selectable) and 388h -> Sound Blaster Pro II, 16, 32, AWE32/64 and Live, ESS 688, etc.

Only 388h -> Adlib Gold, Windows Sound System

So in the SPLD I will always keep the 388h present and leave the DIP Switch configuration such that:

* 0 - 0 [Only 388h]
    * 0 - 1 [388h + 220h]
    * 1 - 0 [388h + 240h]
    * 1 - 1 [388h + 260h]

So as for the design of the PCB, I just have to update the silkscreen.

Comment

New design for better finishing of slot and updating silkscreen for better combinations of I / O ports:

However, since the SPLD will be in socket any programmer can reconfigure it as best suits your needs, obviously the silkscreen will no longer serve as a reference.

Comment

Hi
        Years ago when I first got a sound card for my machine, I wanted to play with the sound generation. I forget what level the sound chip was but I believe it was OPL3. I'd started out with the data sheet and was fiddling with the registers and the file format to create different effects. I was kind of clumsy so I wanted to improve my ability. Someplace I'd gotten an editor that was designed to edit the sound files. It was freeware but it was suppose to be a leading in to buying the full editor.
        I took my file that I'd been working on for a couple of weeks and feed it into the editor. When I got done I wanted to play back what I'd modified.
        Oh, heck! Many of the effects that I'd done were not there. It seems the editor not only deleted parts of my original sounds but didn't even make a backup of my original work. ( No Sale to Me! ). I never did get back to it and I was really pissed at the author. He'd violated one of the first rules of writing software, " Do no harm! ". Of course I was just a beginner then and should have made a backup.
        Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by spark2k06 View Post
          As you can see, I have also decided to make it internal regardless of the external audio jack in order to be used in current PC cases that have the typical USB + Audio connector on the front
          How large is the market for people putting ISA motherboards in modern cases?
          Offering a bounty for:
          - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
          - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
            How large is the market for people putting ISA motherboards in modern cases?
            getting larger all the time seeing as how finding AT-style cases has become impossible

Comment

I used to see people selling ATX I/O plates with an AT keyboard hole years ago but not lately, if there was a market for ATX conversions those bezels would still be popular (and many early ATX cased will happily fit an AT motherboard.
              What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
              Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
              Boxed apps and games for the above systems
              Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Originally posted by Unknown_K View Post
                I used to see people selling ATX I/O plates with an AT keyboard hole years ago but not lately, if there was a market for ATX conversions those bezels would still be popular (and many early ATX cased will happily fit an AT motherboard.
                is it because they are no longer popular, or because the original stock has been depleted? I doubt anyone had new ones manufactured at any time in the past 15 years

Comment

You can still buy blank ones easily enough so setting up a jig to punch out one hole shouldn't be that hard.
                  What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
                  Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
                  Boxed apps and games for the above systems
                  Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Comment

Just having enough to cover the cost of a PCB run on my part is enough. I do it for fun and mainly to give a solution to my current configuration of my NuXT motherboard, by the way ... I think it will look good:

Comment

Done!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QMfLWs73HM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FN3jSZ-MhRM

https://twitter.com/spark2k06/status...37209004482560

Comment

Version 1.2 Kikad project available here.

- Modification of YMF762 and YAC512 footprint dimensions

- Increased thickness of some power tracks

- Silkscreen of 74HC245 changed to 74HCT245

- Added two resistors in the back layer to solve the problem of version 1.0

Comment

You might be interested in this more detailed description of the SoundBlaster and AdLib I/O port usage etc.:
                          http://shipbrook.net/jeff/sb.html

Comment

One can access OPL2 and OPL3 at four different port ranges :

388-389 Single OPL2 (Adlib, SB, SB Pro, SB16)
                            388-38B OPL3 (Adlib Gold)
                            2x0-2x3 Dual OPL2 / OPL3 (220, 240 SB Pro Base, 220, 240 260, 280 SB16 Base)
                            2x8-2x9 Single OPL2 (210, 220, 230, 240, 250, 260 SB Base, 220, 240 SB Pro Base, 220, 240 260, 280 SB16 Base)
                            My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Great Hierophant View Post
                              One can access OPL2 and OPL3 at four different port ranges :

388-389 Single OPL2 (Adlib, SB, SB Pro, SB16)
                              388-38B OPL3 (Adlib Gold)
                              2x0-2x3 Dual OPL2 / OPL3 (220, 240 SB Pro Base, 220, 240 260, 280 SB16 Base)
                              2x8-2x9 Single OPL2 (210, 220, 230, 240, 250, 260 SB Base, 220, 240 SB Pro Base, 220, 240 260, 280 SB16 Base)
                              388-38B OPL3 is also available on the SB Pro 2 and the SB16.
                              My Retro Computing and Vintage Gaming Blog : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X