• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PC floppy drive for Tandy 1000 TX and HX

sergey2b

Good day,

I would like to use standard PC 3"5 floppy drive with Tandy 1000 TX and HX
but it doesnt work and all, even I am using power supply (floppy from Tandy original doesnt use)

Does any body have positive experience to use PC floppy with Tandy 1000

The stock Tandy 3.5" drives in those machines receive power over lines that are normally disconnected or connected to ground in standard floppy drives; the first five or six normally-ground pins are +5v , the last three are +12. Obviously connecting +12 to ground is a bad thing, so you may have destroyed the floppy drive you put into the machine by hooking it up like that. There are also other issues; a standard PC floppy drive is jumpered as device #2 and is set up to accommodate the monkeyshines with the select and motor signals that IBM did on the IBM PC, while Tandy used standard Shugart conventions and therefore wants drive A to be jumpered as device #1, but the power thing is the main killer.

Here's a thread I made about the quick-and-dirty method I came up with to defang the power pins on the Tandy connector using a simple stacking header. You still need to deal with the jumpering issue (seems like most more modern 3.5" floppies don't have the jumpers to be configured for anything but a PC with a twisted cable) but you can use this technique to at least solve the power problem.

The stock Tandy 3.5" drives in those machines receive power over lines that are normally disconnected or connected to ground in standard floppy drives; the first five or six normally-ground pins are +5v , the last three are +12. Obviously connecting +12 to ground is a bad thing, so you may have destroyed the floppy drive you put into the machine by hooking it up like that. There are also other issues; a standard PC floppy drive is jumpered as device #2 and is set up to accommodate the monkeyshines with the select and motor signals that IBM did on the IBM PC, while Tandy used standard Shugart conventions and therefore wants drive A to be jumpered as device #1, but the power thing is the main killer.

Here's a thread I made about the quick-and-dirty method I came up with to defang the power pins on the Tandy connector using a simple stacking header. You still need to deal with the jumpering issue (seems like most more modern 3.5" floppies don't have the jumpers to be configured for anything but a PC with a twisted cable) but you can use this technique to at least solve the power problem.

Thank you very much Sir

I will to try make special cable and
1) try with 5'25 drive (it has selection jumpers)
2) I think the Tandy can swap drive by F2/F3 buttons

One more question please, do you think what can be problem if cable and drive are fine
when I try format or DIR disk, lamp on floppy drive is on

but disk cannot be reading or formatting

Back