• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT PSU with three main power connectors

Shadow Lord

Veteran Member
Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone has seen or can come up with some manufacturer/model numbers for AT PSUs w/ three main connectors? These are not the same as the proprietary Dells. Apparently this was an extension to the the AT PSU for high capacity power supply. However, looking at even 400W PSUs of the day (which was a good bit back then) I only see them with the usual two connectors. TIA!

ATPSU.JPG

What vintage system is this? HP used an extra connector to provide 3.3V to their Pentium-era motherboards. Made sense to put the 3.3V supply in the PSU, rather than bodging it up on the motherboard.

I have an old Intel branded AT style 386 mobo with three PSU connectors. I wonder if it’s the same connector you’re talking about.

This is an AMI 486 motherboard so not a proprietary design like HP or Dell. If I had to guess it was right at the transition of 486 to Pentium era as it has the overdrive socket for the Intel Overdrive chip. The system works with the standard two PSU connectors as far as I can tell. I was just surprised to see three and was wondering if anyone has seen a PSU with three main outputs. The pinout/diagram is from the manual for the MB.

Some of the dual- and above- CPU motherboards added extra connectors. I've got a P3 Supermicro with an additional connector, but the board works with nothing connected to it.

Some of the dual- and above- CPU motherboards added extra connectors. I've got a P3 Supermicro with an additional connector, but the board works with nothing connected to it.

Well this is a single processor 486 but does behave as you describe (it works with nothing connected to P3). Have you seen a PSU with the three connectors?

Back