• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

How many Watts do 2 full height FDD use?

Which FDD models? Usually bitsavers will have data sheets from the manufacturer.

Note that most drives draw a peak amount of current when starting the disk rotating.

Models?

e.g. TM-100, PDF page 8 says:

12VDC @ 900 ma. (max) = 10.8W
5VDC @ 600 ma (max) = 3W, so one drive = 13.8W maximum (peak).

Since PCs typically run only a single drive at a time, the consumption for two will still be less than 15W maximum.

The Tandon TM-100 seems to have the exact same power requirements as the Shugart drives. Rounding up, if both drives ran at the same time, the combined power consumption would be less than 30 watts. That includes the 5% extra voltage the spec permits; i.e. 900 millamps at 12.6 volts and 600 milliamps at 5.25 volts.

CopyQM, FormatQM--run both (or up to 11) drive motors at the same time. Insert a disk to copy/format, remove when done, insert another. Program moves to the next ready drive automatically.

Unless, you looking for heat dissipation, the watts is not of much use. I know power supplies are rated in total watts but since there two supply lines involved, you need to make sure that neither line is drawing more amps than the supply is rated for, regardless of the watt rating.
You can pretty much assume the 5V is continuous but the 12V will be quite a bit less if not enabled.
Dwight

CopyQM, FormatQM--run both (or up to 11) drive motors at the same time. Insert a disk to copy/format, remove when done, insert another. Program moves to the next ready drive automatically.
Ahh, yes, I used to use them extensively back in the day. Very nice, time saving programs.

I only have a 63 W power supply in the 5150.

Have decided to power the XTIDe HDD outside the case with an AT supply.

You don't need an external PSU. The XTIDE uses very little power. It wasn't uncommon for folks to replace one FDD with a HD and still get along with the original PSU.

Yes should be fine as long as the PSU is in good health.

Back