• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

PS/2 Model 60 Hard Drive Issue

RadRacer203

Veteran Member
Just picked up a nice PS/2 model 60 on ebay to use as the base for my Academic System clone. First things first I wanted to get it up and working again and check that everything is ok. Everything checks out except the hard drive isn't recognized. I have the original drive which sounds healthy but is untested and a Microscience drive that was working perfectly in the Zenith parts machine I pulled it out of. I'll likely be getting a SCSI card in the near future but for the moment I'd like to get it going with an ESDI drive. Speedstor doesn't seem to like the IBM controller very much and the bios is seeing that the controller is installed but that's it. I do have a factory PS/2 service manual that says the controller has to be matched to the drive. I have a 70mb drive and this manual is saying I need part number 72x8519 while it has a 72x8588 installed. Any suggestions? Unfortunately I don't have any other controllers on hand to try, this is my only microchannel PS/2 aside from my model 85 but that has onboard scsi so not very helpful

I'll check it out. I posted it in here because it has a 286 CPU. I'd like to try low level formatting the drive and I've heard you do that in the bios with the reference disk but I'm not sure how

Last edited:
Please do not use Speedstor.
Please do not use Speedstor.

IBM supplies on the reference diskette the utilities needed to configure and prepare the drive. You should not require a third party program to format the disk. Verify your cabling, especially if you added a second drive. There is a DS jumper and termination resistors.

The way I have it set up is how it came to me, presumably as it was the last time it was used. I couldn't seem to find the utilities when I booted to the reference disk, where are they located?

The way I have it set up is how it came to me, presumably as it was the last time it was used. I couldn't seem to find the utilities when I booted to the reference disk, where are they located?

Links here:
http://ps-2.kev009.com/ohlandl/8565/8560.html

Boot to the RefDisk, press CTRL+A at the main menu, before doing anything else = Advanced Diagnostics plus Format the Hard Drive.

Finally managed to get into the hard drive setup, and it doesn't seem to be working. When I first turn the computer on it throws a 10480 error and when it tries to format it stops at the "checking drive parameters" screen for a while, makes one long beep, and gives up. It does seem to at least be recognizing there is a hard drive installed though. In the diagnostics it also shows no hard drive installed but I think that just means it has an issue.

Back