Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

replacement for 80286

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replacement for 80286

Ok, 2 questions....... I have an IBM AT 5170 Gen 1 (256/512 motherboard) with a 6MHz 80286. Can I just pop out the CPU and drop in a faster one ? Is so, what do you find to be the best CPU to replace it with ? The BIOS has been upgraded to the Gen 3 July 10, 1985 BIOS chips. Thanks !

the short answer is 'no'

IBM did make a 8MHz AT, so you might be able to convert it but IIRC there is some kind of BIOS check that prevents over clocking

Comment

I believe the last batch of 5170s even had the 10MHz processor, but I was wondering if anyone had made the upgrade.

Comment

There were kits with the higher clock oscillator and updated BIOS to go along with the new CPU. Note that the 10 MHz AT variant from IBM was a bit unreliable so pushing that far might be unwise. It wasn't 5170 but I think was the industrial system.

Comment

I was in the same boat and wanted some more performance from one of my IBM AT's. Checkout my thread: HERE Where I'm going into my way of upgrading the machine. the First thing I thought of was an Intel Inboard AT, which was specifically designed to upgrade the AT to a 386. But they are very rare and expensive. Second option would have been something like a "make it 386" or Kingston "SLC NOW!" but these options again are very rare and expensive, and may have problems with the 5170 Bios or motherboard if they aren't specifically compatible.

My IBM 5170 in question was a 6mhz version 1 board that had an aftermarket AMI bios when i got it. So the fact that now it boots up with a phoenix bios message doesn't bother me too much. and I have to admit for about $100, it was an awesome bang for the buck upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by krebizfan View Post
            There were kits with the higher clock oscillator and updated BIOS to go along with the new CPU. Note that the 10 MHz AT variant from IBM was a bit unreliable so pushing that far might be unwise. It wasn't 5170 but I think was the industrial system.
            I mean the PS/2 Model 30 286 in "sort of" an AT 10mhz... all be it with the stupid proprietary crap that comes with it being a PS/2.

Comment

Originally posted by pinkdonut666 View Post
              I mean the PS/2 Model 30 286 in "sort of" an AT 10mhz... all be it with the stupid proprietary crap that comes with it being a PS/2.
              Well, to be frank, the Model 30 isn't much of a PS/2 either...
              Reach me: vcfblackhole _at_ protonmail dot com.

Comment

This is not a machine I'm keeping, but to sell. I have 2 I'm keeping, an orignal Model 339 (Gen 3 8MHz) and a wolf in sheep's clothing, a 486 motherboard in an AT case, full ISA and lots of memory. I would think a simple upgrade to 8MHz wouldn't cause too much pain, but the performance gain might not be worth it. Thanks for you thoughts.

Comment

The model 30/286 had a few 8 bit isa slots and no mc slots, no?

I had 1 for a while. It looked like a ps2 to me (or PoS v.2.0 . I kind of liked the whole battleship bone color scheme. More cheery then the multinational corporate beige scheme. A twist of artsy fartsy. Even after my 30 got wet and spit sparks at me, it still worked. Built real well it seemed. But weird interleaved memory arrangement. Something screwy.

Comment

Originally posted by tipc View Post
                    The model 30/286 had a few 8 bit isa slots and no mc slots, no?

I had 1 for a while. It looked like a ps2 to me (or PoS v.2.0 . I kind of liked the whole battleship bone color scheme. More cheery then the multinational corporate beige scheme. A twist of artsy fartsy. Even after my 30 got wet and spit sparks at me, it still worked. Built real well it seemed. But weird interleaved memory arrangement. Something screwy.
                    3 16 bit ISA slots and the world's slowest hard drive. Nice turbo AT clone except for the hard drive.

Comment

Same h/d as the model 25? Which was designated ide but wasn't "real" ide, as in 16 bit ide. Invented by Compaq if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I acquired a 1rst gen 5170 motherboard (512K stacked chips/6 MHz) that worked fine, but I didn't have a 5170 case to put it in. Later I got my hands on a whole 5170, but it's motherboard was damaged by battery leakage, and I could never quite get it working right. This system had the next gen motherboard with the 8 MHz CPU. The crystal is socketed on these boards so I pulled the 8 MHz CPU and crystal out of the damaged board and installed them on the 1rst gen board, then I built up the system around that. I've read that some of the support chips on the 1rst gen motherboard can sometimes be unreliable past 6MHz, but this one works flawlessly at 8MHz.

Comment

Has anybody ever tried to replace a 80286 with an 80386-SX?
                          With kind regards / met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen

www.baltissen.org

Comment

Originally posted by Ruud View Post
                            Has anybody ever tried to replace a 80286 with an 80386-SX?
                            Is that even a thing? Even though they both use a 16-bit bus I would assume that there are enough differences that you just can't pop in a 386SX and have it work. There are the likely differences in pin out, communications with the bus and BIOS support to name a few off the top of my head.

Comment

They sold 286-386sx upgrade boards that plugged into the CPU socket and basically had no glue on them so, yes, the 386sx is directly compatible from an electrical standpoint. (And while there are minor BIOS issues they can be worked around with drivers.) The main problem is Intel never released the SX in a physically compatible form factor; it *only* came in a surface mount flat pack, so you need an adapter board to put it in a 286 socket. To make it harder 286s actually came in several socket types, so you need a board that fits your particular motherboard.
                              My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Working...
                              X