• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Second Source FDDs for PC and XT

maxtherabbit

Veteran Member
I've recently learned there were other FDDs for the PC and XT than the infamous Tandon TM-100. One such is the World Storage FDD-211-5. How does the quality on these drives compare? Were there other companies' drives used in the XT lifespan?

TEAC - The Top Drive on my List.

FD-55A 48 TPI 40 Track 300 RPM
FD-55B 48 TPI 80 Track 300 RPM

FD-55E 96 TPI 80 Track 300 RPM
FD-55F 96 TPI 160 Track 300 RPM
FD-55G 96 TPI 154 Track 360 RPM
FD-55GF is same as FD-55G except it is High Density.

Larry

Last edited:
40 track Teacs were used in the PC and/or XT? That's quite a surprise. Was there a version with an IBM branded bezel?

Check the PC XT Techref (MZD has a copy)--IIRC there are schematics for at least three drives there. One of which, I believe, is a CDC/MPI drive.

MPI drives can be variable in quality. Some are no better than Tandons. Some of the older ones are well-constructed (mostly with the CDC logo).

Y-E made drives for other manufacturers as well. I've got a couple of Fujitsu drives that are clearly Y-E production.

I have never seen any of the World Storage drives. Those used to be Orbis and General Systems International in the 70s and became part of Wong Electronics in the mid-80s. Someone else may have encountered them in any of the other guises.
History extracted from Disk Trends.

I liked the YE-DATA drives and had bad experiences with the only MPI drive I encountered.

Y-E made drives for other manufacturers as well. I've got a couple of Fujitsu drives that are clearly Y-E production.

I have 3 Y-E drives and they are all quite good.
I've got a couple of Y-E drives that I can't get to work:

http://www.vcfed.org/forum/showthre...YD-380B-1-2MB-5%BC-quot-Floppy-Drive&p=598081

Back