• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New HD for my 5170...

guitardog

Hi all,
I am currently rebuilding my 5170, which is still heavily used in our UC Berkeley lab...my HD died, it was an original Type 0665. I'd like to put in a Seagate ST225...does anyone know if it will work with my original controller board (WDC 60-000110-04 REV 4X), or will I need a different one?

Also, any thoughts on if a more modern HD can be used...and if so, what is the configuration like?

Thanks!!!
G~

My early 5170, with the type 1 system board, had as ST-225 hard drive in it, configured as type 2.

I’ve now got an ISA IDE/floppy controller in it with a 2GB drive, but I’ve got it configured as whatever the biggest drive that was available in the original IBM BIOS, so it’s only using like 100something MB.

As above but with a 20 GB HDD and using the XTIDE BIOS. And now it is "only" using 8 GB.

Hi all,
I am currently rebuilding my 5170, which is still heavily used in our UC Berkeley lab...

Am I reading this correctly? Your 5170 is to this day being used in a UC Berkeley lab? If so I find that fascinating, because I can't help but wonder what it's been used for all these years. I don't fully know what the history of my schools lab computers looks like, since most professors don't know or remember, but there's a few older labs at my school with hilariously outdated posters showing AT clones. Anyways, all that is just to say that whatever your AT has been controlling all these years must be weird or expensive if the AT itself hasn't just been replaced by a generic dell computer like all ours have been.

I'm not sure but I think my 5170 was used in university of Penn I bought it for really cheap.

Back