Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

IBM PC Case Sizes and front panel measurments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured I'd post an update, the build is going along as planned. All the printable bits are more or less done, I'm at the worst part of it all - sanding and filling and sanding and filling and more sanding and painting part.

I didn't take photos during this part mainly due to how dusty and dirty everything was, but here are a few generally after a few filling ad sanding sessions:

Side pieces:

Side pieces primed, will sand down one last time before painting:

Front cover, the faux floppy and HDD covers:

I wish i took more progress shots of the front panel piece, this one took the longest to sand and pretty up. A couple of days worth at least, but here it is with this first coat of paint (sorry for the somewhat bad photo, i did not want to move it much):

After this it will be lightly sanded with very fine sandpaper to get rid of any imperfections, and then coated 2 more times.

I am looking for a light gray spray for the body. I got a rotary tool and will use side panels of an old PC case I had. Overall, the outer shell is nearing completion.

Comment

Wow, that's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by chris_nh View Post
        Wow, that's awesome!
        Thank you!

A small update: I textured and painted the front covers. I also decided to lightly texture the front face as well. I wont post stuff now until its all assembled and painted.

A video of the flap in action. Has a very nice click to it!

https://i.imgur.com/ARDalS4.mp4

Comment

Originally posted by Inu11 View Post
          Thank you!

A small update: I textured and painted the front covers. I also decided to lightly texture the front face as well. I wont post stuff now until its all assembled and painted.

A video of the flap in action. Has a very nice click to it!

https://i.imgur.com/ARDalS4.mp4
          How did you texture the front covers?
          Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

That’s a really beautiful result. What compound are you using for the filler?

- Alex

Comment

This is really nice work. Thanks for sharing it!

Comment

Originally posted by Exceter View Post
                How did you texture the front covers?
                Standard spray filling, the trick is to just barely press down on the nozzle, so it barely sprays, and then you shake it around a bit too to make the flow even more inconsistent. It sprays out little spots that way. You need to do this at least 2 times for this effect - its best to wait for the filler to dry to avoid the little droplets combining and smoothing out. I know that there are textured sprays that do the same thing, however those usually have material inside of them which is not really ideal for this application. But don't take my word for it, its best to check out what you can get in your local online or physical store. I just grabbed what was available and made due

Originally posted by ajacocks View Post
                Thatís a really beautiful result. What compound are you using for the filler?

- Alex
                I am using both standard car spray filler (The cream colored stuff), as well as a 2 component elastic car filler designed for plastic parts (the black filler). The 2 component filler is amazing, super easy to sand down and really strong, but the downside is its hard to apply around areas with smaller holes, as it gets into everything, and is hard to properly sand out. That is why I opted for both it for large flat surfaces, and the spray for areas with lots of holes or detail.

Originally posted by justanotherhacker View Post
                This is really nice work. Thanks for sharing it!
                Thank you, glad you liked it! Hopefully I'll be done with the whole build in the next few weeks

Comment

Sorry for the bump, could anyone provide me with a high resolution photo of the IBM XT PC sticker at the front of the case?

Comment

Found this one in Google Images ..
                    https://int10h.org/blog/img/xt/xtbadge.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by chris_nh View Post
                      Found this one in Google Images ..
                      https://int10h.org/blog/img/xt/xtbadge.jpg
                      Thank you! I kept looking for it under "IMB XT Sticker"... Didn't occur to me to try searching for a badge haha.

I re-made it in photoshop, and printed a mockup for it. Fits like a glove.

Little teaser (the final version of the sticker will be properly laminated):

https://imgur.com/a/iMN9ncj

Comment

That looks remarkably like the original!
                        Once upon a time, the internet sucked because it came through the phone. Now the phone sucks because it comes through the internet.

Comment

Hello Everyone,

Some good news and some bad news - the good news is that the case is nearly completed. The bad news is that I had to move, and can't take it with me. So for now the project is on ice until I have space to work on stuff like this again. I did everything minus painting the top "plate", hotgluing the LED's, wiring up the USB's and headphone jacks, and making a backplate (i wanted to do the backplate last to make sure that all components fit properly).

I made a short video kinda going through this, and showcasing the current look and state of it here:

Excuse my haste in making this - I nearly forgot to take some photos/videos, and I made this one like 20 minutes before I left haha.

As promised, I will make the 3D models public in the near future (I just moved, and I want to at least sort the files beforehand). Just be warned that a lot of it is pretty hardcore WIP. As with any prototype, these are more or less "first drafts" and got improvised upon. But, still, I hope its gonna be useful to someone.

Comment

Working...
                          X