• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PC Case Sizes and front panel measurments

Inu11

Right so this is a bit of an oddball request, but I feel like this would be a good place to ask about it.

I am trying to build a replica case for the IBM XT and AT PC's and I need accurate dimensions of the cases and their front panels so that I can CNC/3D print the covers.

The reason behind is is pretty simple - these things cost a fortune, and on top of that they are pretty impossible to find where I'm at (Eastern Europe). I'd like to eventually build a sleeper PC in one of these as well, and gutting an original seems like a crime considering their rarity nowadays.

If anyone can take photos of the cases from the front/back/sides, and measure the dimensions for me I'd be forever grateful!

Hopefully bumping isn't an issue, I have gotten images of the IMB XT PC from a user on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/comments/gegxiw/vintage_ibm_case_sizes/fpqxhk5/

And I modeled out the front face of it in solidworks:
kCtknX7.jpg

Once I am fully done I will post the 3D files here and everywhere where I can :)

If someone could still measure an AT for me that would be wonderful!

Thank you! :)

I have contacted a couple of CNC places, but ultimately it would cost way too much to manufacture. So I did the most sensible thing and purchased a 3d printer - I will be making this! :) I'll post updates as I go along.

A little update. My 3d printer has arrived, and I have been experimenting with different fillaments, etc. I seem to have nailed down how to print stuff with a material called PETG which is pretty darn durable (very similar to ABS). Due to print volume limitations, I had to split the front face into 3 parts, but I will hide the seams once its all printed and put together with some sanding, primer, putty, and more sanding.

This is the front face with the drive mockups:

zsFkXzB.png

Once I split it all up this is what it looks like:

VCseMRg.png

zSmCooT.png

The little IBM XT logo will be the power button. I have also hidden some USB and Headphone jacks on the front of the case behind the floppy disk flap:

VDdaoNz.png

I have to admit, this is pretty fun to me. Can't wait to see how the prints turn out.

Thank you! :)

I have contacted a couple of CNC places, but ultimately it would cost way too much to manufacture. So I did the most sensible thing and purchased a 3d printer - I will be making this! :) I'll post updates as I go along.

Which 3D printer did you get? The Z-axis must be able to accommodate the entire length of the panel.

If someone could still measure an AT for me that would be wonderful!

Do you still need the measurements? I can see about getting them for you if you do, though I don't want to have to pull the faceplate off.

Also, that design is pretty awesome. I may need to see if I can get it printed out. A great excuse for me to make a nice sleeper machine.

Which 3D printer did you get? The Z-axis must be able to accommodate the entire length of the panel.

No worries, I split the model into 3 pieces, and did my research on materials beforehand. I purchased an Ender 3 Pro, and some PC Gray PETG fillament. PETG is great because it is less prone to warping during printing. After dialing in the print profile for the material, and a couple of test prints, I started printing the biggest piece:

K710In9.jpg

H0wpRDp.jpg

Naturally if you had a bigger printer you could do one big piece all at once - sadly I don't have the resources for something like that, so this will have to do.

Do you still need the measurements? I can see about getting them for you if you do, though I don't want to have to pull the faceplate off.

Also, that design is pretty awesome. I may need to see if I can get it printed out. A great excuse for me to make a nice sleeper machine.

Yes, I do! It would be greatly appreciated!

No need to rip anything off, If you could just get all the measurements similar to the ones I received from the user Cheese_is_here on reddit (https://imgur.com/a/48ocdj9) that would be wonderful.

Once I am done with the entire print, I will post the OBJ files for all this stuff, some tweaks will likely need to be made as I go along.

Last edited:
Yes, I do! It would be greatly appreciated!

No need to rip anything off, If you could just get all the measurements similar to the ones I received from the user Cheese_is_here on reddit (https://imgur.com/a/48ocdj9) that would be wonderful.

Once I am done with the entire print, I will post the OBJ files for all this stuff, some tweaks will likely need to be made as I go along.

Ok, I'll see about measuring and what not this week and shoot them over to you in a PM.

Ok, I'll see about measuring and what not this week and shoot them over to you in a PM.

Amazing, thank you! Feel free to post it here as well, so that others who might need it in the future have access to it.

Looks like it'll need to wait till the weekend, when I can pull the machine out and do the measurements properly (I just tried without pulling it out and that was not really gonna work too well).

For what it's worth I can tell you the front is 536mm wide, taping to 539mm on the back, is 9mm thick. I could not get in there well enough to make an accurate measurement of the height.

Looks like it'll need to wait till the weekend, when I can pull the machine out and do the measurements properly (I just tried without pulling it out and that was not really gonna work too well).

For what it's worth I can tell you the front is 536mm wide, taping to 539mm on the back, is 9mm thick. I could not get in there well enough to make an accurate measurement of the height.

No problem, I'm in no rush :) Thank you!

The first part finished printing successfully! I still need to clean it up a bit and sand it but I'm pretty happy with the result.

Exciting!

JmpLYoo.jpg

u0sHLKX.jpg

A little update. All the front panel pieces are completed, I also printed the drive bay covers. I will now clean up the main print, fill the holes, prime it and paint it.

Am8dmsz.jpg

In the meantime I started working on the sides of the case - In a perfect world this would all be made out of one sheet of metal, laser/water cut and bent, but I gotta work with what I have.

iWowMEm.png

Prototyping this took a while. It needed to be printable under a certain angle, strong, and also not super close to the components to avoid material warping (PEGT starts to bend at around 80-90c). After a few designs I settled for this one:

FPo4vUi.png

2wDBfbU.png

23 hours to print each, and I will need 4 of those. A metal sheet will go on top, and likely below. I will try to find an old PC case now to take out the motherboard support, as well as the PCI card brackets.

A small update - Due to terrible weather 2 of my prints were ruined (power cuts), so this one took a while to make. The first side piece is done, and I test mounted a 120mm fan - It's a perfect fit. The fan also structurally supports the entire piece (which is already pretty darn solid on It's own).

Don't mind the messy edges, the piece is fresh off the printer and I just wanted to share my progress.

0O7iZaE.jpg

ZyH6ME6.jpg

dLcuYzZ.jpg

Plenty of airflow through the angled grills:

o804IG1.jpg

Figured I'd post an update, the build is going along as planned. All the printable bits are more or less done, I'm at the worst part of it all - sanding and filling and sanding and filling and more sanding and painting part.

I didn't take photos during this part mainly due to how dusty and dirty everything was, but here are a few generally after a few filling ad sanding sessions:

Side pieces:

wT3re47.jpg

Side pieces primed, will sand down one last time before painting:

7r5yW00.jpg

Front cover, the faux floppy and HDD covers:

Kg22IUN.jpg

I wish i took more progress shots of the front panel piece, this one took the longest to sand and pretty up. A couple of days worth at least, but here it is with this first coat of paint (sorry for the somewhat bad photo, i did not want to move it much):

bBtdeWH.jpg

After this it will be lightly sanded with very fine sandpaper to get rid of any imperfections, and then coated 2 more times.

I am looking for a light gray spray for the body. I got a rotary tool and will use side panels of an old PC case I had. Overall, the outer shell is nearing completion.

Back