• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cleaning a grimy circuit board

SMichelsen

Experienced Member
I am not sure if this is the proper forum for this, but as the board in question goes into a PC Clone, here goes...

I acquired a board that has some really grimy/dirty/not-sure-what-it-is nastiness in spots. Please see the pictures. Can someone recommend the best way to clean this board? Electronics cleaner and a toothbrush? Or something else? Or should I even try? I have not yet tested this board in a machine; I figured I would ask here first. Thanks.

dirty_board_A.jpg dirty_board_B.jpg

I second a dishwasher with hot water and no detergent or drying cycle.

Really no detergent? I'm sure I saw 8bitguy pop in a dishwasher tablet when he was doing a youtube project. Don't you need something to dissolve the grime?

Looks like old flux perhaps? Rubbing alcohol, tooth brush and/or swab. If you don't have a dishwasher, I usually use a soft toothbrush and clean under hot running tap water in the sink. Sometimes other cleaners like Krud Kutter if needed. When finished, blow water out of the slots and from under chips if possible and allow to dry fully before applying power.

First make sure there aren't any components on it that will be damaged by water. You could remove them first if necessary. Then I'd give that a serious scrub with soap and water with a toothbrush or better yet firmer nylon type brush. Blast it with compressed air when done water cleaning it. Whatever remains will probably require chemical removal, you can begin with 100% IPA and move on to more aggressive things, but be aware that some chemicals will eat plastics.

Looks like old flux perhaps? Rubbing alcohol, tooth brush and/or swab..

Concur. That looks like flux from high-rosin solder (especially the second pic). Alcohol (preferably 99% Isopropyl) and a stiff toothbrush (trim back if necessary to make stiffer) should do the trick. If you have to resort to a dishwasher, make sure anything penetrable or water-retentive (i.e....coils, unsealed relays and such) are covered tightly or removed to prevent such...

Last edited:
Back