• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Librex 286 laptop computer model NSC212NT

phonophan

Experienced Member
Greetings -

Local craigslist pickup... found practically nothing online about this make/model (Librex 286 NSC212NT).

Hard drive seems to be dead, floppy makes a noise that definitely isn't right... the screen is barely bright enough to be viewable.

...lol but it powered on!

I'll have to attempt to open it up.

Pretty cool find tho!

IMG_1843a.jpg

IMG_1844a.jpg

IMG_1845a.jpg

IMG_1846a.jpg

IMG_1847a.jpg

IMG_1849.jpg

IMG_1851a.jpg

IMG_1852a.jpg

IMG_1854a.jpg

A view opened up...

IMG_1869a.jpg

Any idea what goes in the empty area in the bottom left labeled "1217"?

...or in the empty nearby socket?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1869.jpg
    IMG_1869.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 2
If you are writing about the 40-pin DIL IC socket, I see "80C287" (i.e. a maths co-processor) printed above the socket.

Thanks! I probably should have been able to figure that out on my own.

Here's a close up of that other empty port/connection? Anyone know what this would be for?

IMG_1873.jpg

Overall, getting a little further... here's the underside of the motherboard. Certainly a lot crammed into both sides of this thing!

IMG_1872.jpg

And a question regarding the monitor/screen... as described, barely has any brightness... has a bunch of damage along the top of the screen... does anyone actually replace/repair these things? I have high hopes for getting the laptop running but the screen kind of kills the joy. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_1874.jpg

Purely a guess but perhaps a proprietary RAM expansion? I seem to remember Librex being one of the generic laptop companies of the time that would get mentioned in PC World from time to time, there were a lot of them and virtually all of them were trying to do their hardware dev in-house so there was no parts commonality. Which is why we wound up getting PCMCIA, and later, standard laptop RAM.

Bingo, they were a subsidiary of Nippon Steel: https://books.google.com/books?id=G...=onepage&q=Librex 286 laptop pc world&f=false

Probably one of many investments to dump cash off their accounts during the huge economic boom in Japan in the 80s.

Back