Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

Seagate MFM drive model numbers and differences ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seagate MFM drive model numbers and differences ?

Hey everyone, I'm curious to learn more about Seagate MFM drive part number variations ... the usual suspects, ST225, etc.

I've seen a random few drives with "MLC" following the model number, ex: "ST-251 MLC-1" What is the meaning of MLC-1?

I've also seen some part numbers like "ST-251 -1". Same curiosity... what does -1 specify?

Of course the "R" versions are RLL rated drives. How about the "AT" drives? Is the logic board any different or are they the same as the regular models?

These are fascinating drives, and I'm finding that many of them still work quite well.

Thanks to anyone who might have insights on the model number variations!

RLL drives have a little more band width than non-RLL otherwise the are the same. The - numbers are usually newer revisions.
    AT drives have the controller built in and would be connected directly to the data buss.
    The main differences to the drives are things like stepping speed(some have auto-stepping), number of head, number of sectors and sometimes rotational speeds.
    Dwight

Comment

My memory is a bit vauge but as I recall:
      R at the end indicates and RLL drive, N at the end indicates SCSI, A at the end indicates IDE. I think sometimes the SCSI and IDE would be the same hardware assembly with different logic boards.

I think -1 or MLC-1 at the end indicates a Seagate "refurbished" unit. I seem to recall these would usually have longer track defect lists.

Comment

Then there are A/X drives which can be connected to either AT (16-bit) or XT (8-bit) IDE ports. One drive that I know of is only 8-bit IDE, which is the ST325X.

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
          I think -1 or MLC-1 at the end indicates a Seagate "refurbished" unit. I seem to recall these would usually have longer track defect lists.
          No, MLC stands for Manufacturing Line Code - or something like that. The ST-251 for example has the same stepper as the ST-225, but the ST-251-1 (or ST-251 MLC-1) is fitted with a low-impedance stepper that drops average seek times from around 65 to around 20.

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
            No, MLC stands for Manufacturing Line Code - or something like that. The ST-251 for example has the same stepper as the ST-225, but the ST-251-1 (or ST-251 MLC-1) is fitted with a low-impedance stepper that drops average seek times from around 65 to around 20.
            Yes, that's exactly what I was looking for. Really, I was wondering if the circuit board from an MLC-1 would be the same ... I found a possible donor board for an st251, but it is on an MLC-1 model. Do you know if the circuit board is different to drive the different stepper motor?

I have a few different models of these drives, I understand RLL/mfm drive metrics well, just needed some clarification of the differences like "mlc" and "-1". Thanks for the excellent answer maxtherabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by lafos View Post
              Then there are A/X drives which can be connected to either AT (16-bit) or XT (8-bit) IDE ports. One drive that I know of is only 8-bit IDE, which is the ST325X.
              Yes, I believe you are correct for the early 3.5" IDE models. I have a working A/X drive in a 386.

Comment

Originally posted by maxtherabbit View Post
                Hmm, OK, so was there a code for "refurbished" unit?

Comment

Originally posted by SomeGuy View Post
                  Hmm, OK, so was there a code for "refurbished" unit?
                  I'm not sure, I only learned about the 'MLC' like last week

Comment

Part of the story:

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
                      RLL drives have a little more band width than non-RLL otherwise the are the same.
                      Dwight
                      Wrong. RLL has not higher bandwith, the bits per inch resolution on a track is exactly the same. ALso the raw data transfer rate betwen the drive and the harddisc controller is the same. RLL is only a more effective encoding. RLL contains less of sync clock signal, but more data signal, that's all. But that needs a (bit) better magnetic surface quality. That's the difference.
                      <album>

Comment

Originally posted by 1ST1 View Post
                        Wrong. RLL has not higher bandwith, the bits per inch resolution on a track is exactly the same. ALso the raw data transfer rate betwen the drive and the harddisc controller is the same. RLL is only a more effective encoding. RLL contains less of sync clock signal, but more data signal, that's all. But that needs a (bit) better magnetic surface quality. That's the difference.
                        If we're going to split hairs here about the meaning of 'band width'.... The bits per inch resolution is higher with RLL (2,7), but the number of potential flux transitions per inch is the same as with MFM, aka RLL (1,3).

You could say RLL (2,7) has a higher bit rate than MFM, but the same normalized baud rate.

In the analog domain this could be represented, as stated by Dwight, as a greater 'band width;' while the highest frequency allowed may not increase, band-width is also increased when the lower frequency limit is extended downwards, even if the upper frequency is not increased. Magnetic recording imposes a high-pass filter; change the high-pass lower cutoff frequency down, and the band width increases, even if the low-pass filter at the upper cutoff doesn't change. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Run-length_limited

The longer allowed run length effectively extends the lower frequency cutoff downwards; even though the upper frequency is still fixed at a certain rate (due to head gap size), the lower frequency limit being moved downwards gives a larger band width. It's very similar to the massive effective band width increase imposed on video tapes by the use of the luminance NBFM technique in conjunction with the interleaved color-under technique; a tape that could normally only record a bandwidth of 10 octaves, using NBFM an effective bandwidth of over 16 octaves can be successfully recorded and played back. The maximum upper frequency doesn't change; but the lowest effective frequency is lowered dramatically, well below 60Hz.

NBFM, like RLL, is an encoding technique. It does require a good linear 6dB per octave rolloff on the low side, and thus better tape is required, much like better disk media is required to extend the effective bandwidth downwards using RLL encodings (use of both 2,7 and 1,7 is out there).
                        Last edited by lowen; May 21, 2020, 11:55 AM.
                        --
                        Thus spake Tandy Xenix System III version 3.2: "Bughlt: Sckmud Shut her down Scotty, she's sucking mud again!"

Comment

I saw another one today with "PR" following the model number sticker, same style as the "MLC" sticker. Interesting

Comment

Originally posted by 1ST1 View Post
                            I believe that is what I said.
                            Dwight

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Elvey View Post
                              I believe that is what I said.
                              Dwight
                              I should clarity. Smaller domains on the surface, improve bandwidth. It is not that the data frequency is changed but the timing accuracy of the edges are are improved. This is the same as improved bandwidth.
                              This is just the same as on a cassette tape. Smaller domains mean it can have higher frequency information. Even if the frequency of the written data is the same it will have less jitter. This amounts to improve bandwidth.
                              Dwight

Comment

Working...
                              X