• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help : getting WD1003V-MM1 to work

SunDown79

Veteran Member
So first my setup; a Bitac 286 clone (looks identical to an IBM AT) which has its own BIOS and apart from that is a stock 286.
Installed is a 16-bit ISA PhoenixVGA card with no jumpers and I tried two floppy/ide controllers that both seem to work fine (Silicon Valley Computer ADP60 and a LCS-6625 card). Both of these floppy/ide controllers have a BIOS that I cant seem to turn off.

Now I tried all these combinations :
VGA + either of the floppy/IDE controllers + WD1003V-MM1
VGA + WD1003V-MM1
Just WD1003V-MM1 (to hear the seek, or how do you call it)

All did nothing, no sounds from the harddrive's (I have tried a Micropolis 1323A, Seagate ST-250R and a Seagate ST251-MLC1)
Ow and I also tried different cables.

The only difference I can see is when I jumper W3 for the secondary address, I get a controller failure message, in all other cases I get a Failure harddisk 0.
It could be ofcourse that all drives are broken but hmm, that would be truelly unlucky. The WD1003V-MM1 seems new (I have two of them).

Does the position in the machine (which ISA slot) make any difference ?
And am I right to think that I at least should hear a seek or some action from the harddrive when the system boots ? (I have that sound in my head but well, its been a while since I played with these)

Any help appreciated.

Thanks!

Stefan.

Owwww.....Picnic.......it helps when you use the first connector instead of the last one, no wonder it couldn't find anything...
Its happily lowformatting as we speak :)

Back