• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

[IBM 5155] 1.44 floppy drive controller card

andromeda92

Experienced Member
Hello,
I wanted to know if this card worked on an IBM5155 to allow to put a 3.5 " 1.44 floppy drive.

link

i have already 3.5" floppy but only on 720k with original IBM FDC

Thanks in advance.

Yes, that should work well in your 5155. That is the work of @Sergey, a terrific member of this forum. I have a similar card (XT-FDC) that was designed by other members of this forum and uses the same bios to operate the high density drives. It works well in my 5155.

if i put this card, i need to remove controller original FDC IBM ?
Sergey's information on his card is at [here].
The circuit diagram for the card shows that the card's floppy controller chip sits at the base I/O address of 3F0h, uses interrupt 6, and uses DMA channel 2.
Those are the same as what IBM's 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter uses.
Therefore, yes, you would need to remove the IBM's 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter.

Sergey's information on his card is at [here].
The circuit diagram for the card shows that the card's floppy controller chip sits at the base I/O address of 3F0h, uses interrupt 6, and uses DMA channel 2.
Those are the same as what IBM's 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter uses.
Therefore, yes, you would need to remove the IBM's 5.25" Diskette Drive Adapter.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it can be configured to operate as a secondary FDC in the bios setup. If I'm right, yes you can leave the original controller in as primary. If you can contact Sergey, he can confirm for sure. Maybe he'll chime in on this.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it can be configured to operate as a secondary FDC in the bios setup.
The circuit diagram indicates that the base I/O address of 3F0h is fixed at that address (i.e. no jumper/switch configuration, nor no software control).

I think the BIOS you are writing of is the one used also for the VCF's XT-FDC card (see [here]), a card that has a jumper (JP14) to configure the base I/O address; 'primary FDC' or 'secondary FDC'. On that card, if the I/O address is changed via jumper JP14 to the secondary FDC address, the BIOS on the card would then need to be reconfigured to reflect the secondary FDC address.

...I think the BIOS you are writing of is the one used also for the VCF's XT-FDC card (see [here]), a card that has a jumper (JP14) to configure the base I/O address; 'primary FDC' or 'secondary FDC'. On that card, if the I/O address is changed via jumper JP14 to the secondary FDC address, the BIOS on the card would then need to be reconfigured to reflect the secondary FDC address.

Yes, you are correct. That is the card I'm using in my 5155. However, it uses the same BIOS as Sergey's. That's why I thought his card might be configurable as secondary. But, I'm often wrong. That's why I was hoping Sergey would chime in. But, if you've interpreted the circuit as having a fixed I/O address, then the OP should listen to you and not me. I'm not experienced in reading and interpreting these things.

Back