• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT&T VDC600 video board - PICTURES and ROM CONTENTS

pevalcas

Experienced Member
Hello dear friends,
I am searching high res pictures (front and back) and BIOS ROM contents of an AT&T VDC600 video board that was usually equipping the AT&T PC6386 WGS computers in the late eighties and early nineties.

For the BIOS it's easy to make dump of the ROM contents using DEBUG.COM, saving the memory taken from C000:0 to C000:7FFF on a file and posting it here.

As someone wrote here, the board is a Paradise VGA PLUS 16. I need to check with a picture.

If anybody has a VDC600 to sell or exchange, let me know.

Regards,
Vincenzo.

Hi Vincenco, nice to read you. I hope that you are fine! That one looks like an Olivetti M380 XPsomething (don't remember anymore which one, but you should know), nice machine. You may contact this guy, he has one: http://0xea.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-at-pc-6386-wgs.html I may have a Paradise VGA card, maybe that one is the thing you are looking for. Can you post a picture for comparison?

Hi Trixter,
i just need to have a BIOS for a Paradise VGA supporting both the Paradise additional modes (640x400x256 and 640x480x256) and the Olivetti 640x400x2 mode.

Unfortunately I have a Paradise VGA Professional with 512KB but the BIOS doesn't support the 640x400x2 (and also the 640x400x16).

Reverse engineering both the Olivetti OVC BIOS and the Paradise Prof BIOS is too long and don't have time for it.

Regards.

Hi Stefan,
Germany is helping a little bit more Italy. Good news for Itaky, good news for Germany and good news for EU.

I have checked the website. Thanks. It seems the VGA is a standard Paradise Plus 16 256KB. The BIOS seems to be Paradise, too, and I don't know if it supports the 640x400x2 mode (40h and 48h Tinytext). I will try to contact the guy.

I have 3 or 4 VDC750, I have 2 VDC400 but I am missing the VDC600 and also the VDC800 (it seems it existed, maybe a VGA with more memory or higher resolution).

I would like to have in my collection a PC6300WGS, a PC6312, a PC6386. Of course I have the Italian original ones.

Regards, Vincenzo.

Stefan,

If you check the page at the link you sent, I already asked the guy a copy of the BIOS but he never answered.

My board is exactly the same as the one in the picture, but with 512KB, all soldered. My board is a real Paradise VGA Professional 16 with 512KB. The maximum memory supported by the PVGA1A.
The BIOS of my board is 62-003084-060 and 62-003085-060. The board on the website is 62-003094-060 and 62-003095-060. This difference means the board in the website may have a BIOS supporting also the mode 40h, 640x400x2.

Or maybe the difference is only the BIOS required for the different video memory size.

In the picture of the website it's clearly written on the white label it is an AT&T VDC600.

So I am crossing the fingers a VDC600 BIOS actually supports both Paradise Extended resolutions and also Olivetti 640x400x2 resolution.

Regards,
Vincenzo.

I have 3 or 4 of these boards, also identical to the one in the picture.

I have to check, which one I have in my box of ISA cards, it looks different, no orange PCB, but green. But it's from an Olivetti machine. I have also an ATARI PC-5 386DX-20 now in access at a friend, a quite rare machine, which has a Paradise VGA card. I also can check this one.

Hi Stefan,
Germany is helping a little bit more Italy. Good news for Itaky, good news for Germany and good news for EU.
It's not only Germany helping, it's Europe helping, with Van der Leyen, Merkel and Macron plus about 20more as the engine, and Kurt and 3 others as a brake. It still makes me sad that personal friendship depends on what government does. But that's offtopic here.

Stefan,

probably your board is a standard OVC GO481 with 256kB and standard 1.03 or 1.06 BIOS from Olivetti. Or a standare Paradise VGA Plus 16 or VGA Professional 16.

The board I need is only on an original AT&T such the 6286, the 6386 etc. because Olivetti (or Paradise) had the requirement to develop a BIOS supporting all the extended Paradise modes, plus the Olivetti's flagship 640x400x2.

So the BIOS of these boards have been modified to manage also the video mode 40h (640x400x2 graphics with 80x25 chars and 8x16 character matrix) and 48h (identical of the above but "tinytext" 80x50 characters on screen with 8x8 matrix).

As I wrote before the right BIOS I am searching is the one on the board in the picture at the website you posted.

62-003094-060 and 62-003095-060.

Hope Trixter can find the board and the BIOS. Or I will try to address the guy at the website to check if he can help me.

Regards, Vincenzo.

It's not only Germany helping, it's Europe helping, with Van der Leyen, Merkel and Macron plus about 20more as the engine, and Kurt and 3 others as a brake. It still makes me sad that personal friendship depends on what government does. But that's offtopic here.

Yes, you are right. But I was really stressy and worried at that time.

Anyway, just for your info, I unblocked you

Regards, Vincenzo.

Hope Trixter can find the board and the BIOS. Or I will try to address the guy at the website to check if he can help me.

I am 90% sure this is what I have in my 6286. I'll try to pull it out tonight and see. I'll also test 640x400x2 compatibility via BIOS INT 10/ah=00/al=48h.
However, I won't try to verify Int 10/AX=007Fh/BH=00h (many functions special to the VDC), that will be your job if the first test works ;-)

Ok thanks!

Am searching an original VDC600 anyway.

If you find one, let me know.

Meanwhile, if you can get me the BIOS, it would be very nice.

If you want some info in exchange or a dump of a BIOS of another board or some info on an Olivetti computer, let me know.

It seems there are two types of PC6286 out there. One is the equivalent of the Olivetti M290. There is another one, PC6286/25, which is not from Olivetti. It's an ugly case, probably made in Taiwan or something similar.

My dream would be to get a PC6300 WGS, a PC6312 and a 6386/E, the tower version which is very nice, all in white.
If you can take pictures of the board and send them to my email address (you should have it) it would also be nice.

Am planning to organize a trip to Chicago this september or next year.

Regards, Vincenzo.

The Video Mode for 640x400x2 is 40h. 48h is the Tinytext version or 80x50.

Regards, Vincenzo.

Updating this thread: Yes, and the results are here: ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/drivers/ATT/6286 WGS/ROMS including WDC600/

One of the interesting discoveries that I shared with Vincenzo, disassembling the WDC600 BIOS, is that it passes M24 640x400 BIOS calls directly to the Olivetti BIOS -- meaning, it doesn't handle the modes at all, but relies on the host to handle modes 40h and 48h. If the VDC600 is put into a non-Olivetti system, trying to use those modes will have no effect.

Thanks Jim,

I didn't have the time to make tests, yet. I discovered an external USB Floppy is not working on Windows 10 64 Bits. So I didn't have the time to move the BIOS file you sent me from the "internet connected domain" to the old 1986 domain of an M24 or M240, to reverse engineer the BIOS and create a .DBG file with the complete disassembly of the BIOS itself.

In the early nineties, I used debug.com to create assembly programs. I hated to write Assembly text in an editor at that time, so I used debug to code directly assembly instructions. It was complicate, especially for the realative "short" jumps and conditioned jumps.

I took a BIOS I got from a Paradise board and installed it in RAM using a TSR scheme(DOS Int 21 Function 31h,of I remember well). I then replaced the original INT10 interrupt vector pointing to Olivetti VGA (OVC board) and redirected it to the INT10 entry point of the original Paradise BIOS installed in RAM and made resident there.
I was able to get 640x400x256 colors and "see" the first high res graphic files in 256 colors with a decent resolution. I was using the software PICEM at that time.

This had a drawback. The standard mode 40h and 48h were not available anymore.
I had in mind to make a modification similar to the one present in the VDC BIOS. Make a prior test in my INT10 selection routine located in RAM. If the function called is Set Video Mode for mode 40h or 48h, or the current active video mode (for the other INT10 functions called) is 40h or 48h (you get them from the stored Current Video Mode in the BIOS Data Area at 40h segment), then forward it to the Olivetti INT10 original BIOS routine in OVC's ROM. For all the rest forward it to the Paradise VGA Video BIOS resident in RAM.

The Paradise mode 58h (640x400) was working flawlessly. Of course it was slow for the power of an 8/10Mhz computer, but it worked. Redraw a page would take more than 1 second.

I also tried mode 5Fh, 640x480x256, bit of course it was missing RAM and the image was overlapping when addressing the top 255B. Olivetti OVC has limited memory, with only 256KB soldered on the board and no expansion possible.

I made a last attempt to try 800x600x16 mode (58h) but my CDU1431/MA41 (from Matsushita/Panasonic) wasn't able to manage that resolution. Additionally, that mode required a 36Mhz oscillator that wasn't available on the OVC. Well, there was a 36Mhz but it was dedicated to the Mclock input line to the PVGA1A.
I did it quick and dirty.
I connected the output of that 36Mhz oscillator to the PCLK2 input of the PVGA1A, keeping it connected to MCLK (I know it may not be good for the oscillator itself because he maybe doesn't have enough drive capabilities to drive 2 LS-TTL inputs) and I switched to mode 58h. It actually worked, as I could see characters on the screen, despite the lack of horizontal and vertical stability of the image, due to the impossibility of the monitor to drive a 36MHz pixel rate and 35Khz horizontal frequency, being limited to 31.5Khz and with a maximum bandwidth of 28.322.Mhz.

Other problem was the maximum clock of the DAC. On my OVC I had a 40mhz IMGS176 chip rated at 40Mhz. On some other OVC boards there was a 35Mhz one, so a dot clock of 36Mhz may fall slightly beyond the rated frequency of the video DAC.

Those were good times, when I was young and brave, doing great hacks and crazy things.

Regards, Vincenzo.

to reverse engineer the BIOS and create a .DBG file with the complete disassembly of the BIOS itself.

I started a commented disassembly in that same directory; you can see the .LST file which might help.

Those were good times, when I was young and brave, doing great hacks and crazy things.

There's still time to be old and brave, doing hacks and crazy things -- my history should be proof of that :)

BTW, as requested, here are the pictures I took of the VDC 600 when I had it out of my system:

IMG_20200618_212052 (Medium).jpgIMG_20200618_212058 (Medium).jpgIMG_20200618_212124 (Medium).jpg

Back