• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8MHz 80286 (5170) best games / demos?

JohanLu

I'm so happy I got this old IBM5170 up and running. With a decent VGA card and a Sound Blaster, I now run Pinball Fantasies, which I 25 years ago was part of developing... And it runs pretty good on this machine with 4 channel sample mixer sound on AdLib! :twisted: Did not think it would! I knew we run it back in the days on a 12MHz 286 without any lagging... I really don't remember what was the lowest spec we tested on, but it would not surprise me if it was the 5170 I had back then...

Now, I'm wodering which would be the best demos and games that would work with this setup.

I hoped to be able to run some of trixters demos, but even this machine is quite overspec it seem to run only on CGA with copsite output. I will keep looking out for even older HW than this... But it must be something that runs on this that will impress me.

Bring it on!

For 8088MPH an original XT with original CGA card with composite is the best thing you can go for. But the ATARI PC-3 does very well, too, on his CGA-RGB-digital output, Trixter was very surprised how good it looks on that machine.

Back