• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

5150 Power Supply powers up, runs floppy drive and hard drive but fan doesn't spin.

fjk61011

Veteran Member
5150 Power Supply powers up, runs floppy drive and hard drive but fan doesn't spin.

Dangers?

EDIT: I've found my Torx screwdriver. Will open the case later. Looks like the fan is riveted on.

Last edited:
Overheating, Could be a dead fan or seized fan or power issue, Is it an AC or DC fan, Have you checked all output voltages under load, You'll need to open the PSU and investigate.

Overheating, Could be a dead fan or seized fan or power issue, Is it an AC or DC fan, Have you checked all output voltages under load, You'll need to open the PSU and investigate.

Have the screws out. Trying to separate case now.

OK, the fan is a metal thingy riveted to the case.

Molex is Red Black Black Green. I have to remove the circuit board to get at the end of the cables.

Does the fan blades turn easily by finger, A good pic of the inside of the psu would be useful, Who's the manufacture of the PSU.

Ok, I've got the other power supply opened. It has a 12 V DC fan. I'll have to figure out how to connect the fan to the 12 V rail. All the wires are connected under the circuit board.

Why don't you just swap PSU's ?

The first PSU in the Pics you posted is a 130W 5160 PSU, Easy enough to check if the fan is getting power, Set your DMM to AC range highest setting and probe the 2 pins you disconnected the 2 fan wires from with the PSU powered up, Be extremely careful not to slip or touch anything else with the psu powered up. The last time i looked these fans were still available.

The first PSU in the Pics you posted is a 130W 5160 PSU, Easy enough to check if the fan is getting power, Set your DMM to AC range highest setting and probe the 2 pins you disconnected the 2 fan wires from with the PSU powered up, Be extremely careful not to slip or touch anything else with the psu powered up. The last time i looked these fans were still available.

have to go shopping now. i'll get back later

I've got 3 psus. The one I'm trying to fix is 220V ac in. 130w. The other are 110v ac in. The 130w one is demised. Plugged it into our 220v mains. The magic smoke came out of it. The other 110v ac is only 63 watts. Ive a full height floppy drive and a full height hard drive in the 5150

There's 220 V AC across those two pins.

Hallelujah, brother or whatever your having yourself.

220V AC fan now working.

Have to clean out the gunk while I've got the power supply open.

Thanks for the help.

As soon as I put the PS back together the fan refused to spin. Have the case opennow and gave it a push. Spinning now. Leaving it running. How would I lubricate it?

As soon as I put the PS back together the fan refused to spin. Have the case open now and gave it a push. Spinning now. Leaving it running. How would I lubricate it?

I think the AC fan is damaged. Going to replace the AC fan and cover assembly with the DC fan and cover. I need to find a point to solder the wires to. Can I connect to a 12V wire and a RANDOM ground/earth?

I think the AC fan is damaged. Going to replace the AC fan and cover assembly with the DC fan and cover. I need to find a point to solder the wires to. Can I connect to a 12V wire and a RANDOM ground/earth?

Cover with DC fan fits perfectly.

EDIT: But the screw holes don't align. I've connected the DC fan to one of the molex connectors. All works with a hard drive attached. Now to put it in the 5150.I might order a 220V AC fan.

Last edited:
Back