• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Lubricating a 5150/5160 PSU AC fan.

fjk61011

Veteran Member
Follow up to: 5150 Power Supply powers up, runs floppy drive and hard drive but fan doesn't spin.

Lubricating a 5150/5160 PSU AC fan.

Fan sometimes sticks. With a little push it starts spinning. I want to lubricate it.

To the best of my recollection, the fans used in the 5150/5160 used Oilite bearings/bushings. Even when you can remove them and treat them, re-lubricating them is a bit of a chore (heat to nearly red-hot, drop in oil and then pull a vacuum). You're best off by replacing the fan. Alternatively, you can drop some medium (SAE 10-20) on the end of the fan shaft near the bearing and be prepared to repeat the procedure. Usually this shaft end is hidden underneath an end-label.

Don't use grease--it can clog the "pores" in the bushing.

To the best of my recollection, the fans used in the 5150/5160 used Oilite bearings/bushings. Even when you can remove them and treat them, re-lubricating them is a bit of a chore (heat to nearly red-hot, drop in oil and then pull a vacuum). You're best off by replacing the fan. Alternatively, you can drop some medium (SAE 10-20) on the end of the fan shaft near the bearing and be prepared to repeat the procedure. Usually this shaft end is hidden underneath an end-label.

Don't use grease--it can clog the "pores" in the bushing.

Probs going with a new fan. The existing fan is 220 V AC and attached by two sockets on the wires to two prongs after the switch. Preference for 220v AC or 12v DC?

Later 5160 supplies used 12VDC fans. The original 62.5W (US) 5150 PSU used a 120V AC fan. I seem to recall that it was a bit noisier than the DC fans. Your poison, but I think it would be a lot easier to source a 12VDC fan.

Later 5160 supplies used 12VDC fans. The original 62.5W (US) 5150 PSU used a 120V AC fan. I seem to recall that it was a bit noisier than the DC fans. Your poison, but I think it would be a lot easier to source a 12VDC fan.

The fan on the unit where the magic smoke came from has a much quieter fan. Sorted.

Got a fatal error no memory for dos. I had sw2 5 set wrong. Must have changed it when I put the PSU back in. Working now and fan is spinning. Much Quieter than the AC fan.

Back