• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Xt-ide dom

I have A hyperdisk in an XT-IDE and I can't get it to work whilst a platter HDD works.

Bummer. Can you hook a regular IDE hard drive up to the XT-IDE? I might be able to do that. I have a ton of small sized ones around here.

Yes. In fact, the XTIDE BIOS will support LBA PATA drives just fine (although MSDOS won't let you use more than about 8Gb; FreeDOS however has FAT32 support...). I currently have an XTIDE BIOS installed on a network card in a 486, configured for the 16 bit IDE interface and using an IRQ instead of PIO mode, just for the purpose of using a 40Gb PATA disk in Slackware. It is lovely.

I got my IDE hard drive working with the XT-IDE. 10 GB (in 2GB chunks) to play with. The only thing is that the drive is recognized as a Slave drive instead of Master. XT-IDE doesn't seem to care though and boots appropriately, does it matter? I think I fix this with a jumper, but right not it works and I'm loath to mess with it if I don't have to.

I got my IDE hard drive working with the XT-IDE. 10 GB (in 2GB chunks) to play with. The only thing is that the drive is recognized as a Slave drive instead of Master. XT-IDE doesn't seem to care though and boots appropriately, does it matter? I think I fix this with a jumper, but right not it works and I'm loath to mess with it if I don't have to.

Not near my PC. I think the jumper on the hdd has to be set master or slave or cable select.

I put a jumper on the hard drive and now it sees it as Master. Boots up half the time since it doesn't have to wait for the master drive to time out.

Back