• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Data General One

alexfloca

Experienced Member
Hello everybody. I recently got a data general one from a trade, no psu, no diskettes. I found some pictures online of a psu for the data general one model 2, (6.4V 5A) and powered my data general one (first model) from a lab psu, after fixing the power button, the laptop tries to boot from floppy. the only problem is, the lcd stays blank. I opened up the case and on the pcb of the lcd module somebody seems to have replaced some of the caps (very messy job).
does anyone have a picture of the pcb of the lcd module?
does anyone know what voltage the first model of data general one needs to run properly?

cheers,
alex

Others can answer the voltage question, but I ran into the DG One at a trade show when it had just come out.

My reaction to it was "Is this thing on?".

The display LCD (first version) is very faint, even on a new machine. The Model 2 was vastly better.

My own notes say that the external PSU was 5.8V.

As for trying to read the screen, try getting a bright flashlight, place it on (yes, on. As in contacting the clear plastic) the screen, then wobble it around until you can see text. It usually takes about a 45 degree angle, but it varies based on Things.

You wouldn't think so, but it really is that hard to see.
Just a quick measurement of my (confirmed working) PSU gives about 6.3v, and the print on the side says it should be 6.4v, 2A for the one, and 6.4v, 3A for the other. The original PSU has a spot for a second cord, which you'd use to plug in the portable thermal printer. Not sure which one is which.

Ok, i immagine the screen is faint, but i can't see anything at this moment, when i turn it on, in a certain position i think i can see half the screen for one second or so get blank or get an slighlty other tone ... Afterwards, during boot it shows some very very faint vertical stripes in the upper half of the lcd screen. I saw some.pictures online, text is faint but it is recognisable.

Does anyone have an ideea of the front plexiglass should.come off easy? As i removed the frame.in.front of the lcd pannel the plexiglass came right off. I thought maybe the previous ovner removed the polariser film or.something..

Back