• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Help With Hard Drive ( IBM Type 0665-30 )

TheKin988

Hello, I'm New here.

So my name is Rony

i have IBM 5150 with monitor ( IBM 5151 monochrome ).

and i have hard drive IBM Type 0665-30.

I have an expansion card, I connected it to a hard disk and it recognizes it, but I can't tell how many cylinders it has, or how many heads.

hare is pictures:
https://imgur.com/a/iiR2Lcv

Welcome to these forums.

The large '2' on your 0665-30's defect sticker indicates that if the drive were to be fitted into an IBM AT, that drive type 2 is what would be set in the IBM AT's SETUP (a.k.a. 'CMOS setup').
IBM drive type 2 equates to: 615 cylinders, 4 heads, 17 sectors per track

Welcome to these forums.

The large '2' on your 0665-30's defect sticker indicates that if the drive were to be fitted into an IBM AT, that drive type 2 is what would be set in the IBM AT's SETUP (a.k.a. 'CMOS setup').
IBM drive type 2 equates to: 615 cylinders, 4 heads, 17 sectors per track

Hello
i need your help

in diskpart

i will do manual info

have:

ccc h rrr ppp ee o

so i write:
615 4 rrr?? ppp?? ee=11 o=5 ? what i need write in rrr and ppp ??

rrr = starting reduced write cylinder
ppp= write percomp cylinder

please help to me.

please help to me.
The IBM 0665-30 (0665-030) will not need 'reduced write current', and so set the starting cylinder for 'reduced write current' to 615. Set the starting cylinder for write pecompensation to 300 (because the 0665-30 is an IBM type 2 drive).

It is not clear to me what it is that you are doing. Diskpart is about partitioning, but 'ccc h rrr ppp ee o' is the format of a string used sometimes when low-level formatting using a Western Digital made hard drive controller (or some clones of).

There are three things to do:
Step 1 of 3: Do a low-level format of the drive. How that is done depends on the hard drive controller.
Step 2 of 3: Create a partition. (e.g. Use FDISK.)
Step 3 of 3: Do a high-level format of the partition, and make the partition bootable. (e.g. Use FORMAT.)

For step 1, you need to tell us the make and model of the hard drive controller.

An example of steps 2 and 3 is at [here].

Back