Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules and Etiquette

Our mission ...

This forum is part of our mission to promote the preservation of vintage computers through education and outreach. (In real life we also run events and have a museum.) We encourage you to join us, participate, share your knowledge, and enjoy.

This forum has been around in this format for over 15 years. These rules and guidelines help us maintain a healthy and active community, and we moderate the forum to keep things on track. Please familiarize yourself with these rules and guidelines.

Rule 1: Remain civil and respectful

There are several hundred people who actively participate here. People come from all different backgrounds and will have different ways of seeing things. You will not agree with everything you read here. Back-and-forth discussions are fine but do not cross the line into rude or disrespectful behavior.

Conduct yourself as you would at any other place where people come together in person to discuss their hobby. If you wouldn't say something to somebody in person, then you probably should not be writing it here.

This should be obvious but, just in case: profanity, threats, slurs against any group (sexual, racial, gender, etc.) will not be tolerated.

Rule 2: Stay close to the original topic being discussed
  • If you are starting a new thread choose a reasonable sub-forum to start your thread. (If you choose incorrectly don't worry, we can fix that.)
  • If you are responding to a thread, stay on topic - the original poster was trying to achieve something. You can always start a new thread instead of potentially "hijacking" an existing thread.

Rule 3: Contribute something meaningful

To put things in engineering terms, we value a high signal to noise ratio. Coming here should not be a waste of time.
  • This is not a chat room. If you are taking less than 30 seconds to make a post then you are probably doing something wrong. A post should be on topic, clear, and contribute something meaningful to the discussion. If people read your posts and feel that their time as been wasted, they will stop reading your posts. Worse yet, they will stop visiting and we'll lose their experience and contributions.
  • Do not bump threads.
  • Do not "necro-post" unless you are following up to a specific person on a specific thread. And even then, that person may have moved on. Just start a new thread for your related topic.
  • Use the Private Message system for posts that are targeted at a specific person.

Rule 4: "PM Sent!" messages (or, how to use the Private Message system)

This forum has a private message feature that we want people to use for messages that are not of general interest to other members.

In short, if you are going to reply to a thread and that reply is targeted to a specific individual and not of interest to anybody else (either now or in the future) then send a private message instead.

Here are some obvious examples of when you should not reply to a thread and use the PM system instead:
  • "PM Sent!": Do not tell the rest of us that you sent a PM ... the forum software will tell the other person that they have a PM waiting.
  • "How much is shipping to ....": This is a very specific and directed question that is not of interest to anybody else.

Why do we have this policy? Sending a "PM Sent!" type message basically wastes everybody else's time by making them having to scroll past a post in a thread that looks to be updated, when the update is not meaningful. And the person you are sending the PM to will be notified by the forum software that they have a message waiting for them. Look up at the top near the right edge where it says 'Notifications' ... if you have a PM waiting, it will tell you there.

Rule 5: Copyright and other legal issues

We are here to discuss vintage computing, so discussing software, books, and other intellectual property that is on-topic is fine. We don't want people using these forums to discuss or enable copyright violations or other things that are against the law; whether you agree with the law or not is irrelevant. Do not use our resources for something that is legally or morally questionable.

Our discussions here generally fall under "fair use." Telling people how to pirate a software title is an example of something that is not allowable here.

Reporting problematic posts

If you see spam, a wildly off-topic post, or something abusive or illegal please report the thread by clicking on the "Report Post" icon. (It looks like an exclamation point in a triangle and it is available under every post.) This send a notification to all of the moderators, so somebody will see it and deal with it.

If you are unsure you may consider sending a private message to a moderator instead.

New user moderation

New users are directly moderated so that we can weed spammers out early. This means that for your first 10 posts you will have some delay before they are seen. We understand this can be disruptive to the flow of conversation and we try to keep up with our new user moderation duties to avoid undue inconvenience. Please do not make duplicate posts, extra posts to bump your post count, or ask the moderators to expedite this process; 10 moderated posts will go by quickly.

New users also have a smaller personal message inbox limit and are rate limited when sending PMs to other users.

Other suggestions
  • Use Google, books, or other definitive sources. There is a lot of information out there.
  • Don't make people guess at what you are trying to say; we are not mind readers. Be clear and concise.
  • Spelling and grammar are not rated, but they do make a post easier to read.
See more
See less

RAM : 736KB on IBM PC 5150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trixter View Post
    Some DOS versions won't let this work even if it's valid. I did the same thing (added 64K to A000 in my 5160) but IBM PC DOS 2000 refuses to work (I can't remember if it hangs on the reboot, or if it simply doesn't use the extra).
    I wonder if this is related to an issue I've seen with the same DOS on the Tandy 1000's with DOS loaded high; if I run a piece of software that uses the Tandy graphics modes (which requires changing the top of the DOS memory space downwards at least 16k from the boot state) "something" gets clobbered with DOS'es memory management because running "mem /c" will no longer show the contents of UMBs, and commands like "loadhigh" no longer work. Drivers and whatnot loaded high previously continue to work, but I will say non-scientifically the computer gets a little "crashy". (I generally reboot after running Tandy graphics programs just to be safe.)
    My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
      ..if there's any software out there that actually hits that phantom page then you're asking for trouble having RAM from the expansion card sitting behind it.
      You would have to write twe different values - one to the main CGA window and a different one to the aliased window / back to back - then read from either. It's a very contrived use case. I doubt even a memory pattern tester would ever do that. Anything that would, would be a test program inspired form this thread. Even then, it's not a zero impedance short. It would have the resistance of the traces/connectors from one opposing driver (CGA card) to the other (memory chip) + the ESR of the transistors themselves.

At any rate, it's moot. I disagree it would harm anything by doubly mapping RAM like this.

Some DOS versions won't let this work even if it's valid. I did the same thing (added 64K to A000 in my 5160) but IBM PC DOS 2000 refuses to work (I can't remember if it hangs on the reboot, or if it simply doesn't use the extra).
      Are you sure it's a DOS issue and not just a BIOS scan issue? I'm pretty sure most of not all DOS versions always trust the top RAM value in the BDA (via Int 12h) for the limit of memory they can use. Even if there is more RAM detected there, you'd want DOS not to use it if BIOS has it reserved for other purposes (like the MDA adapter!) For example, the PCjr BIOS limits it's scan and thus BDA reporting to 640K - even when a side-car adds more.
      Last edited by eeguru; July 1, 2020, 10:19 AM.
      "Good engineers keep thick authoritative books on their shelf. Not for their own reference, but to throw at people who ask stupid questions; hoping a small fragment of knowledge will osmotically transfer with each cranial impact." - Me

Comment

Originally posted by eeguru View Post
        Are you sure it's a DOS issue and not just a BIOS scan issue? I'm pretty sure most of not all DOS versions always trust the top RAM value in the BDA (via Int 12h) for the limit of memory they can use.
        It's not a BIOS scan issue because the BIOS stops at 640k on the system I'm testing. The use of the extra memory is changing the BDA value and soft-rebooting. IBM PC DOS 7 just hangs when I do that. I'll test other DOSes to see what happens.
        Offering a bounty for:
        - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
        - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

Originally posted by Eudimorphodon View Post
          So, yeah, if there's any software out there that actually hits that phantom page then you're asking for trouble having RAM from the expansion card sitting behind it.
          I know of at least one piece of software that does... 8088 MPH. It's quite useful if you're reprogramming the CRTC start address register - no matter which address corresponds to the top left, you have a contiguous range of addresses corresponding to the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by eeguru View Post
            At any rate, it's moot. I disagree it would harm anything by doubly mapping RAM like this.
            I'm sold that's unlikely to physically harm anything and I'll agree it's probably a "contrived" use case that someone would write to location X in the CGA space and then read the same cell from address X+16k (and care that it's different), but *technically* it is a compatibility-breaking condition, so it seems like from that standpoint it's pretty hard to argue that having overlapped RAM is in any way a "best practice".
            My Retro-computing YouTube Channel (updates... eventually?): Paleozoic PCs Also: Blogspot

Comment

I would assume that both chips will almost never switch at the exact same moment. So there is always some time where the drivers work against each other (slightly increasing current), even if they arrive at the same result shortly thereafter. Which for me is additional stress on the components, even if it doesn't harm in the short term.

Comment

I'll test other DOSes to see what happens.
                704K.COM just tests to see if there is memory at A000; if there, it adjusts the BDA and then warm reboots. So, what happens on various DOSes? On my 5160 with 64K at A000, and an empty CONFIG.SYS file:

MS-DOS 3.3: Successful, 651K free RAM after clean boot and running 704K.COM
                MS-DOS 6.22: Successful, 642K free RAM after clean boot and running 704K.COM
                DR-DOS 6.0: Produces erroneous error message "BOOT Diskette defective. Press F1 to retry or any to continue." after 704k's reboot. (F1 repeats message, other key goes to ROM BASIC)
                PC-DOS 7.0 Revision 1 (IBM PC DOS 2000): Locks up the system after 704k's reboot

So I'm not sure what the unsuccessful DOS versions are doing, as 704k.com is extremely simple and doesn't do anything wacky. Maybe the typical warm boot process (set the BDA flag, jmp to fff0:0) doesn't work on all DOS versions, perhaps.

Why is an additional 64K lower DOS RAM appealing to me personally? I like to code in the Turbo Pascal IDE, and it doesn't use UMBs, only EMS. While I have an EMS board installed, it doesn't free up all that much lower DOS RAM when using the TP IDE. An extra 64K would mean I could debug my larger projects on the 5160 itself.
                Offering a bounty for:
                - A working Sanyo MBC-775 or Logabax 1600
                - Music Construction Set, IBM Music Feature edition (has red sticker on front stating IBM Music Feature)

Comment

There are some non-PC DOS releases that went further, I have seen all the way up to 768KB conventional RAM for instance. However, most of those machines were phased out and replaced by PC-compatible machines somewhere around DOS version 3.

Of course those machines didn't neccesary have graphics memory in the A and B segments, or any standard BIOS. In some cases IO.SYS managed the memory-count on boot instead.

768KB could be possible for the PC as well, if someone made a BIOS-overlay to use, say for example, the naive mode of the PGC as display output.
                  Current systems owned by me:
                  Vintage:IBM PC/XT submodel 087 ( 1983 ), [Kon]tiki-100 rev. C (1983), Compaq Portable I ( 1984 ), IBM PC/XT submodel 078 ( 1985 ), IBM PC/XT286 ( ~1986 ), 3x Nintendo Entertainement Systems ( 1987 ).
                  Obsolete:Commodore A500 ( ~1990 ), IBM PS/2 model 70/386 type 8570-161 ( 1991 ), Atari Lynx II ( ~1992 ), Generic Intel 486SX PC ( ~1993 ), AT/T Globalyst Pentium w/FDIV bug MB ( 1994 ), Compaq 486DX4 laptop ( ~1995 ).

Comment

Working...
                  X