• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Is there any software that does thorough testing of an IBM PC/XT chipset?

Mike Chambers

Veteran Member
Hi all, does anybody know of any software that can do thorough tests of chips like the 8253, 8259, 8255, 8237, etc? And that can run on an 8088 or 80186? Something that really tests out all or at least most of their functionality.

I started writing a new XT-class PC emulator to address the problems (and horrible code architecture) in my old one, and I'm trying to identify bugs in the components. I know there are at least a few, since the Super XT/Turbo XT BIOS from phatcode.net is the only one that doesn't give me any issues booting.

For example, the stock IBM XT BIOS invariably gives me a 101 error and halts, so that one seems to be tripping up on my 8259.

For example, the stock IBM XT BIOS invariably gives me a 101 error and halts, so that one seems to be tripping up on my 8259.
Per [here], there are two possible causes for the stock IBM 5160 BIOS producing a 101 error. (8259 and 8253.)

Although, sometimes the BIOS code needs to be examined, e.g. source code indicates (via comment before block) that a particular block of POST code does XXXX, but upon code examination, the block goes off and does YYYY as well.

... does anybody know of any software that can do thorough tests of chips like the 8253, 8259, 8255, 8237, etc?
Tried the Supersoft/Landmark Diagnostic code ?

Thanks! I've heard of this before but forgot about it until you posted that.

This is definitely going to help. It looks like my results so far are indicating a problem with both the 8237 (not surprised) and 8259. I'll enable diagnostic tracing for those modules and see what I can find out.

VperoMK.png

Attachments

• VperoMK.png
    VperoMK.png
    24.7 KB · Views: 1
Back