• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

breakthru 286 accelerator card found and want it to work on a Tandy HX

bugeye

this card did not come with the cable that plugs into the motherboard 8088 socket or the 8087 plug that supposed to be plugged into that socket. there is also no software for it and i can't seem to locate anything on the net for it. what i plan to do with it use it on a tandy hx which is already is equipped with very low profile isa slots from a provided adapter. i also purchased an isa adapter (providing 2 isa slots and coming from china) to provide a right angle and will protrude from the top of the pc. it will be an ugly and fragile setup if get it going but the reward will be for smoother gaming for a pc that is slow.

the tandy as of now has some other upgrades including a cf card booting dos 3.3, parallel port card with a zip drive, digital rgb (cga) to analog rgb adapter (provides a way to hook up to an ordinary tv with a scart rgb to componant thing), atari joystick adapter and an external adlib card plugged into the built in parallel port (only works with patchable games).

i did a similar accelerator upgrade to a tandy tx years ago with other upgrades that are almost exactly the same except for actual isa adlib. the 286 tandy tx has a "MAKE IT 486" chip installed. benchmarks like a fast 386 when you enable the cache and use a util to speed up the ram.

anyway, the tandy hx doesn't seem to have an 8087 socket and i am assuming that i won't be needing the 8087 plug that supposed to be with the breakthru 286 card. i am hoping that i can build the cable for the 8088 socket and find some software for the card. i may be able to figure out the cable by finding the 8088 ground connections from the breakthru ribbon connector socket. the ribbon looks as if its a strait shot to the 8088 slot from pictures i have seen of the card. if i can obtain these things i will definitely test the card on a less cared about computer first. i would also like to use the HX extra isa slot (3 max) for an actual adlib card. i am also concerned that HX power supply can handle 3 cards at once (286,cf & adlib ). i will have to give up the isa parallel card and i have no problem with that. it may also be possible to "MAKE IT 486" but that is another adventure into the unknown.

if anyone can help provide software and/or pinout of making a cable it would be so much appreciated.

thanks

the cable is probably the easiest part; I used a 40 conductor IDE cable and crimped a 40 pin DIP/IDC connector (observing pin one orientation) for my 286 card. Drop me a note if you want a cable made. That 8087 "blank plug" is somewhat concerning as it's not clear if it is jumpered in some way internally.

a built cable would be a cool thing to do and i would pay for one also. i do have pretty much everything to make one here too but i haven't looked at the card much yet. did you make a cable for a different card? it looks as though many of the cables are the same looking (such as the orchid tiny turbo and possibly others). as far as other pc to test on, my options are a tandy 1000 regular and a tandy ex. the tandy ex is the same i think with no 8087 socket but i prefer not to screw it up. it wouldn't be the end of the world for me since i only use the tandy hx and tx. the ex seems to be the best test candidate because i won't be messing with a 287. the tandy regular probably does have a 287 socket. it is concerning that the blank plug may be needed for this card (or needs to be jumpered in some way) and may not be compatible with the ex or hx. the blank plug may have to be installed and i am wandering if this is the usual with other types of accelerators or just some proprietary thing only for breakthru 286. this project isn't anything i am too much in a hurry to figure out but it would be cool to get the hx to where i would actually like it to be. i work 2 jobs so i am sure this will take me some time to figure this one out. let me know what you think, thanks

I have a Sota 286i card. It does not have a 8087 plug. It requires any 8087 be removed and DIP switch set to no FPU.
Breakthru 286 is the only card I am aware of that requires the plug.

I have this card, it was installed in a XT I bought. No plug in the 8087 slot but seems to be working fine. What is this plug for?

I have this card, it was installed in a XT I bought. No plug in the 8087 slot but seems to be working fine. What is this plug for?

i think the blanking plug needs or may not need to be plugged onto the pc motherboard 8087 slot for whatever reason. maybe if there is a jumper that enables/disables the 8087 on the pc motherboard and the blanking plug may possible make to where you don't have to set the motherboard jumper?....this is only a guess. i assume that you have no 8087 blanking plug on your pc motherboard and the card is working fine. the card itself has a 287 socket from the manual and i am not sure if that is where you might be thinking a blanking plug goes. if you don't have a plug on the pc motherboard this gives me hope that it is not required and i may be able to get the card working with just a cable and some software. any hope you can provide pinout of the cable and socket in a way that i can build one without guessing how to make one? testing the cards cable plug ground connection with a continuity tester may give some lead on this. any hope for software? thanks

i got to thinking about this project and actually purchased some more things in hope to expand my tandy HX. the parts will hopefully provide vertical isa slots to accept regular half length cards. my hopes are to provide an adlib card (to provide extra game sound options) and a 286 accelerator. the remaining isa card will be the existing cf-card in the bottom horizontal isa slot. a maximum of three cards + memory plus expansion card will be used or what i hope to be installed and if the project doesn't work out i wouldn't mind some sort of low profile adlib card to exist in the near future as this would allow cf-card and adlib in the horizontal position and i would also be able to close off the cover.

i will first test the parts in a tandy sx, if all goes well, i will test in a tandy ex and then finally the HX.

the accelerator card may or may not need software to give the actual boost in speed but that is something else i need to look into. i also need to build the cable for the card.
my thoughts on the 8087 motherboard blanking plug is that maybe it is only needed if one plans on using a 287 processor on the card and needs the plug provides access to the 287 socket.....this is just my assumption.

well, im still accepting any input from any knowledgeable people out there.
thank you in advance

I picked up one back in 2019 from Computer Reset and it came with a spare 8087 dummy plug. I checked it with my multimeter and found these pins: 20 (gnd), 23 (busy), 24 (QS1), 25 (QS0), and 32 (int) connected together.

I picked up one back in 2019 from Computer Reset and it came with a spare 8087 dummy plug. I checked it with my multimeter and found these pins: 20 (gnd), 23 (busy), 24 (QS1), 25 (QS0), and 32 (int) connected together.
40409760074-a7bfcdcecb-o.png

I had dug the pub out of the epoxy...

Back