• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

8086/NEC V30 XT class computers

jasa1063

Experienced Member
I've always had a fascination with 8086/NEC V30 systems, probably because there were far fewer than 8088/NEC V20 systems. I recently acquired an Epson Equity Ie. It's a curiosity being the only non IBM computer that I know of to have MCGA graphics onboard. I am in the process of upgrading it with a NEC V30. I also have a Tandy 1000 SL upgraded with a NEC V30 and a Tandy 1000 RL (No NEC V30 love for this one with a soldered 44-pin PLCC 8086). I am just curious of others experience with these type of computers.

There should be a boatload of information on the Epson.

But I've replaced 8086 CPUs in several systems with NEC V30s, including a GridCase and an AT&T PC6300. No problems at all.

There should be a boatload of information on the Epson.

But I've replaced 8086 CPUs in several systems with NEC V30s, including a GridCase and an AT&T PC6300. No problems at all.

I am just waiting for the NEC V30 to arrive. I currently have it on order. I was able to find the manual online and software on Epson's Europe FTP site.

The Tandy 1000 RL is something of an anachronism, being very outdated at the time of its 1990 release, and having rather restrictive options for expandability. Notwithstanding, I find it to be surprisingly capable for an 8086-based system, and it remains my second-favorite Tandy 1000-class system overall, ranking higher than even the V30-upgraded SL.

I have a PS/2 Model 25 with a V30 in it. Great little machine. The Caddilac of such boxen, imo, although it would be nice to have a couple more ISA slots.

I got the Epson Equity Ie all finished today. It now has:

NEC V30 CPU @10MHz
Intel 8087 Math Copressor @10MHz
ET4000 1MB SVGA
Sound Blaster 16 CT4170
XT-IDE CF with 2GB CF Card
Lo-Tech 1MB memory card with D000-EFFF configured fot 128KB of upper memory
Logitech Wingman Gamepad
PS/2 Mouse
XT 101 Keyboard with a PS/2 to AT adapter
MS-DOS 6.22

Very nice computer overall and I am please with the way it turned out.

the only non IBM computer that I know of to have MCGA graphics onboard.

Wow, I didn't know that! I guess if I write any more MCGA code, I'll have to add Epson as a second detection method (currently only PS/2 Model 25).

The only issue I've ever had replacing 8086 with NEC V30 is that Geoworks Ensemble no longer starts. Likely a bug in their detection routines.

Wow, I didn't know that! I guess if I write any more MCGA code, I'll have to add Epson as a second detection method (currently only PS/2 Model 25).

The only issue I've ever had replacing 8086 with NEC V30 is that Geoworks Ensemble no longer starts. Likely a bug in their detection routines.

I also found out that there was an Epson PSE-30 (I think it was only sold in Europe) that also had MCGA graphics. I believe it was just a rebranded Epson Equity Ie.

Back